[comp.sys.novell] KILL text file oddity NW 386 3.1A

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer) (04/01/91)

On a Netware 386 3.1A file server using Version 3.01 Rev D of the NET3.COM
I ran into the following oddity:

I created a batch file (KILL.BAT) containing 7 lines of the following form:

    PKUNZIP -V CAMB16xxx >> KILL

where xxx was different in each line but the rest of the lines were identical.

When I looked at KILL with Buerg's LIST program, I saw the results of an SLIST
command showing a list of all 84 servers on our internet (most of the servers
are attached to the server on which this happened via an X.25 bridge), followed
by the expected output from PKUNZIP.

When I tried to find KILL, Neither DIR, nor FLAG found it.  QEDIT also couldn't
find it and tried to create an empty KILL file.

When I changed KILL.BAT to dump its output to KILL.1, everything worked as
expected, with a normal KILL.1 text file being created containing only the
output from the PKUNZIP command.

I tried this a few times and made sure that no KILL file existed prior to
running KILL.BAT (although since DIR and FLAG couldn't find KILL after the
KILL.BAT file ran, I can't be too sure about this one either).

Has anyone heard of this problem?  Any ideas as to what might be going on?
Is KILL a reserved filename under Netware 386?

--

---    Ullrich Fischer  phone (604) 684 9371  Vancouver, BC, Canada ---
                 Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.uucp

jyoull@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Youll) (04/03/91)

In article <5359@mindlink.UUCP> Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer) writes:
>On a Netware 386 3.1A file server using Version 3.01 Rev D of the NET3.COM
>I ran into the following oddity:
>
>I created a batch file (KILL.BAT) containing 7 lines of the following form:
> [... details omitted]
>When I tried to find KILL, Neither DIR, nor FLAG found it.  QEDIT also couldn't
>find it and tried to create an empty KILL file.
>Has anyone heard of this problem?  Any ideas as to what might be going on?
>Is KILL a reserved filename under Netware 386?

I dunno, but I run Advanced Netware 2.15c, and after loading IPX and NET3
(specifically NET3) if I try to create a file called "NEXT" on any drive
at all (even local drives when I'm not logged in) the machine hangs.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here (advance blush) but the filename NEXT
just wreaks havoc. You should have seen my confusion as I tried to d/l
a file that I had named "NeXT" last week - the machine kept crashing for
No Good Reason.

mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (04/03/91)

In article <7235@bgsuvax.UUCP: jyoull@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Youll) writes:
:In article <5359@mindlink.UUCP: Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer) writes:
::On a Netware 386 3.1A file server using Version 3.01 Rev D of the NET3.COM
::I ran into the following oddity:
::
::I created a batch file (KILL.BAT) containing 7 lines of the following form:
:: [... details omitted]
:
:Maybe I'm missing something obvious here (advance blush) but the filename NEXT
:just wreaks havoc. You should have seen my confusion as I tried to d/l
:a file that I had named "NeXT" last week - the machine kept crashing for
:No Good Reason.

Novell uses some reserved file names.  For example, the name <NETQ> is a special
file name that Novell uses when printing to a network queue.  By using the file
name NETQ, or any name that starts with NE and has 4 characters, you can get
some nasty results.  At one stage a file name like NEXT crashed our backup for
a while before we traced the problem.  If you don't know what you're looking
for you can really get into problems!

I tried the same thing with the name KILL but couldn't re-produce it.  Maybe
someone else knows about another reserved name I havn't come accross yet?

Cheers,
+Mark.

It is very possible that the same thing
applies with the name KILL being related to a reserved word.
--
 Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
 email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory