[comp.sys.novell] Automatic "down"

heygel@rutishauser.inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) (04/04/91)

We would like to shutdown our novell (netware 386) system every night at
let's say midnight. Our server is a NOVELL NCI-50 and we have connected
20 IBM PS/2 to it. Does anyone out there knows, how this can be done
automatically?

Any help is appreciated very much!

     Reto Heygel, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (04/05/91)

In article <27841@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> heygel@rutishauser.inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:
>We would like to shutdown our novell (netware 386) system every night at
>let's say midnight. Our server is a NOVELL NCI-50 and we have connected
>20 IBM PS/2 to it. Does anyone out there knows, how this can be done
>automatically?
>
>Any help is appreciated very much!
>
>     Reto Heygel, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

I would get a household light timer and set it to shut off the power to
the UPS at 11:30 and restore power at 12:15. Plenty of time to let the
UPS signal the server of a powerfail (thus kicking in the safe
shutdown). After a few minutes the UPS battery drains and the UPS croaks.
Everything quiet til 12:15 when the power is restored. Total cost for
the timer should be about $15. It might send your UPS battery to an
earlier grave than it would have otherwise, but they all die sooner
or later.

Nathan Engle             Software Evangelist
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

ileader@sideways.gen.nz (Ian Leader) (04/10/91)

heygel@rutishauser.inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:

> We would like to shutdown our novell (netware 386) system every night at
> let's say midnight. Our server is a NOVELL NCI-50 and we have connected
> 20 IBM PS/2 to it. Does anyone out there knows, how this can be done
> automatically?
>
> Any help is appreciated very much!
>
>      Reto Heygel, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

One (rather devious) way of doing this would be to use a UPS monitoring
board in the file server connected to some fairly simple electronics and
a timer switch.  At midnight (or whatever) the 'black box' connected to
the timer would set the necessary interface line to the UPS board to say
that it was running on battery; then by setting the UPS DOWN TIME
the server would (in an orderly fashion) down itself when it thought the
'UPS' battery was about to run out!!  Read the Systems Administration
Guide for Novell regarding the settings for the UPS monitoring
software/hardware required.

I'm sure there must be an easier than this to do what you want, but that
idea sprang to mind first.

         Ian Leader, Avalon Television Centre, Lower Hutt, New Zealand