[comp.sys.novell] Seeking NetWare Technical Documentation

mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/04/91)

Can anyone tell me where to look to find technical documentation
on NetWare?  I don't mean a general overview and a minimal set
of details to write a few simple programs... I mean actual
technical programming details like you can get for DOS or for
VMS or most operating systems?

We have all of the NetWare C Interface-DOS Professional Development
Series stuff, but we haven't been able to find any real technical
programming documentation.  Where should we be looking?

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr4.091644.29450@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Can anyone tell me where to look to find technical documentation
>on NetWare?  I don't mean a general overview and a minimal set
>of details to write a few simple programs... I mean actual
>technical programming details like you can get for DOS or for
>VMS or most operating systems?
>
>We have all of the NetWare C Interface-DOS Professional Development
>Series stuff, but we haven't been able to find any real technical
>programming documentation.  Where should we be looking?

Netware Programmers Guide, M&T Books, by John McCann (I thinks that's his
name).

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

baird2@lincoln.ac.nz (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.133832.14666@techbook.com>, kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:
> In article <1991Apr4.091644.29450@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>We have all of the NetWare C Interface-DOS Professional Development
>>Series stuff, but we haven't been able to find any real technical
>>programming documentation.  Where should we be looking?
>
> Netware Programmers Guide, M&T Books, by John McCann (I thinks that's his
> name).

John McCann wrote Netware Supervisor's Guide. I haven't heard of any book
by him called Netware Programmers Guide, but if it exists I'd be interested
to hear from anyone who's got it. Another book is Programmers Guide to
Netware by Charles Rose. It covers all the 2.1x function calls (not the new
3.x calls) and is somewhat disappointing. It gives little extra information
but does have some possibly useful example programs.

   John Baird                           Internet:   J.Baird@lincoln.ac.nz
   Senior Computer Consultant           CompuServe: 75360,35
   Centre for Computing & Biometrics    Phone:      (64) (3) 252-811
   Lincoln University                   Fax:        (64) (3) 252-944
   Canterbury
   New Zealand

dbuerger@cup.portal.com (David J Buerger) (04/10/91)

An additional source of info is PROGRAMMER'S GUIDE TO NETWARE,
A COMPLETE GUIDE TO NOVELL'S CLIENT APIs by Charles Rose
(McGraw-Hill, 1990).

David Buerger

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) (04/10/91)

In article <41093@cup.portal.com> dbuerger@cup.portal.com (David J Buerger) writes:

>An additional source of info is PROGRAMMER'S GUIDE TO NETWARE,
>A COMPLETE GUIDE TO NOVELL'S CLIENT APIs by Charles Rose
>(McGraw-Hill, 1990).
>
>David Buerger

Is this book worth it?  I've seen a (biased) review in LAN Times that says
it is, but also warns that it is not too strong on Netware 386.  I'm
interested 'cause my bookclub's offering it at a $10 discount.
--

Jay Elvove       jay@umd5.umd.edu
c/o Academic Software