[comp.sys.novell] Using Ethernet to connect Novell to a Vax

cs4921as@draco.unm.edu (Student Class Account) (04/11/91)

We are interested in finding out if there are any of you who
have found practical ways of connecting NOVELL from a 286/386
platform to a VAX. The machine in question would be an 11/785
running VMS. The NOVELL servers are at present being converted
to Ethernet. Sharing resources between the two systems is of
prime importance and we would like it to be as complete as is
possible.
						Thank you,

Please either post a reply or send mail to MAJONES@UNMB.UNM.EDU

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr11.155016.8142@ariel.unm.edu>, cs4921as@draco.unm.edu
 (Student Class Account) writes:
> We are interested in finding out if there are any of you who
> have found practical ways of connecting NOVELL from a 286/386
> platform to a VAX. The machine in question would be an 11/785
> running VMS. The NOVELL servers are at present being converted
> to Ethernet. Sharing resources between the two systems is of
> prime importance and we would like it to be as complete as is
> possible.
> 						Thank you,
>
> Please either post a reply or send mail to MAJONES@UNMB.UNM.EDU
--------------------
Dear ??
	It depends on just which resources you wish to share, and why.
To share all the answer is simple: install NetWare/VMS on your VAX to
achieve file sharing and logging into the frontend of the VAX (the TES)
utility. Why one would want to put files on the VAX when a regular PC
based NetWare file server is available is a good question, given that
the PC server is far faster than the VAX based edition.
	Just a clarification might be in order. That is, users share the
machines, but the PC and VMS servers don't share each other's resources.
	Time to put on that thinking cap and ask the hard questions.
	Joe D.

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (04/14/91)

Try NetWare/VMS.  This allows folks to access VMS disks, printers, queues
as if they were NetWare resources.  You can also use the terminal emulation
services (TES) bundled with NW/VMS to get your term links over the ethernet.

If you want to print FROM the vax onto printers attached to other servers
look at a product from Interconnections (the TES and writers [mostly] of
NW/VMS) that allows this.

There are several other alternatives on the market but why load additional
software when you can treat your vax as a nw server.

If you want more info, pro/con....email or call

jamesp@world.std.com
Ziff Technical Information Company
617/393-3255 (Mass.)