[comp.sys.novell] Charon and cross-platform printing

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (04/14/91)

My organization is looking into using Charon as a mail gateway between
our Novell server and the Unix minicomputers that we are running.  We
have tested Charon out, and the SMTP mail handling capabilities seem
to work very well.

One feature that the Charon documentation lists is the ability to
"[transfer] print files from Novell print queues to TCP/IP LPD print
servers, and [accept] TCP/IP LPR jobs for queueing on Novell print
queues." We would very much like to access this capability, as we have
many printers that are either connected to our VAX *or* our Novell
server, and it would be nice to access all of them from any host.

I have looked through the Charon documentation.  Although it goes into
extensive detail about the mail gateway facilities, I have not found
anything on how to set up the connections between Unix print queues
and Novell printers (and vice versa).

Can anyone provide me with pointers and/or details on how to set up
Charon, NetWare, and Unix to allow printing across the platforms?
Right now I am stumped.

Thanks for any help that you can provide me with.  It is much
appreciated.

						.oO Chris Oo.

Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both
   lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu        subtle and gross.  But it is not for the
   uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka         timid. -- Q
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485     It is not safe out here.  It is wonderous,
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene     with treasures to satiate desires both
   lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu        subtle and gross.  But it is not for the
   uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka         timid. -- Q

ocs@netcom.COM (Gary Leight) (04/15/91)

We have been looking for a gateway for mail between a Novell Network and a
Unix network.  What is Charon and who makes it?  This sounds like a solution
that may work for us.  Thank you for any help.

Martin Van Ryswyk
ocs.netcom.com
192.100.81.100

klox@otago.ac.nz (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr13.173547.6249@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu>, lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:

> One feature that the Charon documentation lists is the ability to
> "[transfer] print files from Novell print queues to TCP/IP LPD print
> servers, and [accept] TCP/IP LPR jobs for queueing on Novell print
> queues." We would very much like to access this capability, as we have
> many printers that are either connected to our VAX *or* our Novell
> server, and it would be nice to access all of them from any host.

Unfortunately the documentation is ahead of the software at this stage.
It is intended that Charon will provide this feature, but it is not
available in the current release. (3.01)

Charon is provided by Clarkson. It is used by Pegasus Mail as an SMTP
gateway. But we did not write it and do not have control of the source.
For more information regarding upcoming releases you may wish to contact
Clarkson.

KLox

   0
    00      Martin Cox
    0000    Computing Services Centre         E-mail   klox@otago.ac.nz
     00     University of Otago               Tel      +64 3 479 8531
            Dunedin                           Fax      +64 3 479 8577
    000     New Zealand
   000
  000       I Am A Bear Of Very Little Brain, And Long Words Bother Me
 000

klox@otago.ac.nz (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.191154.11471@netcom.COM>, ocs@netcom.COM (Gary Leight) writes:

> We have been looking for a gateway for mail between a Novell Network and a
> Unix network.  What is Charon and who makes it?  This sounds like a solution
> that may work for us.  Thank you for any help.

Charon is an SMTP gateway for Novell systems. Pegasus Mail is a mail program
for Novell Netware. Pegasus Mail v2 uses Charon to provide full internet mail
facilities. Charon was written by Clarkson University. Pegasus Mail is by
David Harris of Otago University.

Charon is available for FTP from clarkson.edu. You can FTP Pegasus mail
from splicer.cba.hawaii.edu or mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu

We use Pegasus and Charon to provide mail between Novell, VMS, Ultrix and
Unix. So it should work for you.

Email me if you need more info

Cheers

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (04/15/91)

klox@otago.ac.nz writes:
| In article <1991Apr14.191154.11471@netcom.COM>, ocs@netcom.COM (Gary Leight) writes:

| > We have been looking for a gateway for mail between a Novell Network and a
| > Unix network.  What is Charon and who makes it?  This sounds like a solution
| > that may work for us.  Thank you for any help.
|
| Charon is an SMTP gateway for Novell systems. Pegasus Mail is a mail program
| for Novell Netware. Pegasus Mail v2 uses Charon to provide full internet mail
| facilities. Charon was written by Clarkson University. Pegasus Mail is by
| David Harris of Otago University.

The current version of Charon (3.01, I believe) is only a Pegasus Mail
<=> SMTP gateway.  However, the previous version (I forget the number)
is an LPD/LPR gateway.  Both versions are written by and available
from Clarkson University (should be available on sun.soe.clarson.edu
or grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, but my route to that part of the net seems
to be down at the moment).  The next version of Charon is supposed to
provide both the SMTP _and_ LPD/LPR gateways in a single product.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu