[comp.sys.novell] Lantastic

michaels@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Michael D. Smith) (02/16/91)

Greetings,

We are about to network 10 PCs and have no knowledge of
PC networking.  Our some-time programmer also has his own
business and sells the Lantastic network system.  When I
asked him about the Novell network, he replied that the
Lantastic system is far better than Novell.

We are somewhat trapped into buying the Lantastic system,
since this is what our "expert" recommends.  But I don't
feel right about just taking his advice since he is obviously
biased and because the Lantastic system will cost alot more.

The network will be heavily used by the PCs as they access a database.

1. How would you compare Novell and Lantastic?

2. What has been your experience using Lantastic?

Thanks for the help,
Michael

michaels@sail.labs.tek.com

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (02/16/91)

In article <5233@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM>, michaels@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Michael D. Smith) writes:

> Lantastic system is far better than Novell.
>
> We are somewhat trapped into buying the Lantastic system,
> since this is what our "expert" recommends.  But I don't
> feel right about just taking his advice since he is obviously
> biased and because the Lantastic system will cost alot more.

of course your 'expert' is biased. Two things:

1  get information from journals, build your own meaning from datasheets etc.
   but don't forget one thing:
2. somebody has to manage your network. If it is the guy that knows
   Lantastic ... use his knowledge, take it!

bye ....................................................................  Didi

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *

katz@cs.ucf.edu (Katz) (02/17/91)

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch writes:

>In article <5233@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM>, michaels@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Michael D. Smith) writes:

>> Lantastic system is far better than Novell.
>>
>> We are somewhat trapped into buying the Lantastic system,
>> since this is what our "expert" recommends.  But I don't
>> feel right about just taking his advice since he is obviously
>> biased and because the Lantastic system will cost alot more.

____WHOA!!!!!!!!_________

Somebody is snowing you BIG TIME.  A Novell system will cost you FAR MORE than will a lantastic system.

A 10 user LAN (assuming you already have the 10 PC's) will cost you about $8000 with Novell 2.15, 10 generic ethernet cards, 386-25 network server w/100 Meg drive.

A similar lantastic system will cost about $4500 for the same setup.

Both LAN's will cost you the same to add on additional nodes.

Of course, the Novell software is better than Lantastic's....

But, whoever is telling you Lantastic is alot more than Novell is probably making a lot of money off of you.

The other reason a Novell LAN costs more is that in order to be Novell authorized you have to invest a few thousand dollars.  A lantastic dealer has to invest
$0.00.

--
Dave Katz
katz@eola.cs.ucf.edu

ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) (02/17/91)

In article <5233@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM> michaels@sail.labs.tek.com writes:
>Greetings,
>
>The network will be heavily used by the PCs as they access a database.
>
>1. How would you compare Novell and Lantastic?
>
>2. What has been your experience using Lantastic?

Let me answer the questions that I can. I have NOT used Lantastic so I have
no opinion on it. What I have heard is just that stuff that I have heard
and I can not make a judgment one way or another.

What I can comment on is Novell Netware, both the 2.15 and the 386 versions.
As the System Administrator for a company that has 12 Novell networks
installed I can say that they work, and they work well. We have a variety
of applications running from purchased to 'home grown' And they all work,
some have required a moderate amount of tweeking. Those were ones that we
wrote as single user and migrated to the network.

What you use as a database engine should dictate what network you should
use. Novell has a very nice database (Btrieve) Applications that use it
can go from single user to a network with very minor modifications.
dBase III requires more work, and I cant comment on any others.
Ed Ackerman                               | It is impossible to make anything
bdgltd!ela@dsi.com or ...!dsinc!bdgltd!ela|  foolproof beacause fools are
#include <StdDisclaimer>                  |           SO ingenious!

wood@Software.Mitel.COM (Dale Wood) (02/19/91)

In article <5233@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM> michaels@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Michael D. Smith) writes:

>   Lantastic system is far better than Novell.

 >   since this is what our "expert" recommends.  But I don't
 >  feel right about just taking his advice since he is obviously
 >  biased and because the Lantastic system will cost alot more.

>   2. What has been your experience using Lantastic?

I have used no other PC LAN Network except for the Lantastic network adaptor, so
a comparing I will not do.

Three PC's connected in a doctors office, each accessing client records.
(Traffic is not what I would consider to be high.) My opinion is that the system
offers the biggest bang for the doller. In trainning the staff, there was no
problem using the software NET and NET_MGR.

I have been very happy with the product for what I and this other office have
done with it.

...Dale Wood
wood@Software.Mitel.COM

craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Stuart A Craig ) (02/22/91)

wood@Software.Mitel.COM (Dale Wood) writes:

>In article <5233@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM> michaels@tekfdi.FDI.TEK.COM (Michael D. Smith) writes:

>>   Lantastic system is far better than Novell.

> >   since this is what our "expert" recommends.  But I don't
> >  feel right about just taking his advice since he is obviously
> >  biased and because the Lantastic system will cost alot more.
Says who?  Lantastic systems are usuallyu much less that a compariable
Novel setup.

- Stuart Craig
	internet:  craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu
    bitnet:    sac@ksuvm

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (04/15/91)

In article <322@bdgltd.UUCP> ela@.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) writes:
>What you use as a database engine should dictate what network you should
>use. Novell has a very nice database (Btrieve) Applications that use it
>can go from single user to a network with very minor modifications.
>dBase III requires more work, and I cant comment on any others.

I inherited responsibility for an orphaned dBase III app that had been
compiled under Clipper 87. I spent about 3 days adding record locking to
6 programs; I guess it was a lot of work, but the results have been
better than expected. As a single-user application on an XT, this
critical database was almost never backed up. Now it's part of the
regular server backup.

>Ed Ackerman                               | It is impossible to make anything
>bdgltd!ela@dsi.com or ...!dsinc!bdgltd!ela|  foolproof beacause fools are
>#include <StdDisclaimer>                  |           SO ingenious!
                                               Absolutely true.
Nathan Engle             Software Evangelist
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu