[comp.sys.novell] WP Office Shell and Netware 2.2

will@ogre (William Sadler) (04/18/91)

I recently had a problem where a user got the message "Disk Full
Unable to Save File" when working in WP 5.0 on my newly
upgraded Netware 2.2 network.  When she didn't save the file under
a new name it promptly deleted the original off of the disk.  I checked
to make sure her WPO shell was setup correctly and that she had the proper
rights, etc.  Everything was fine.  But I was able to duplicate the
problem, but only on her machine.  So I called WP.  Turns out that
there is a problem with the WPO shell and Netware 2.2.  They told
me to add the line "cache buffers = 0" in the shell.cfg of the
workstation, but since we are using packet drivers I am not sure what
effect this will have.  It does not fix the problem.

Has anyone else seen this?  I wonder if the problem lies with Novell
or with WordPerfect, and who is going to fix it?

Thanks,
Will Sadler

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) (04/18/91)

I've run into similar problems on a number of machines including networked with
Netware 2.15c and 386.  In each case the solution was to change the SHIFT-F1
setup so that the automatic backup directory mentioned there pointed to a
directory which actually existed.  If automatic backup is enabled and the
directory to which the backup
is directed does not exist, this message seems to come up{

--
- Ullrich Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca   (Let's just have 1 line signatures eh?)

wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) (04/19/91)

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) writes:

>I've run into similar problems on a number of machines including networked with
>Netware 2.15c and 386.  In each case the solution was to change the SHIFT-F1
>setup so that the automatic backup directory mentioned there pointed to a
>directory which actually existed.  If automatic backup is enabled and the
>directory to which the backup
>is directed does not exist, this message seems to come up{

While this suggestion and another about checking the rights of users
in the backup directory, and also checking the amount of free disk
space and any limitations imposed by disk quotas are all correct, they
are not the source of this bug.  It seems to only effect stations with
extended memory above 640K for some reason on my network.  WP has
informed me that it definitely is a compatibility problem between
Netware 2.2 and the WPOffice Shell.  If you run WP outside of the shell
the problem goes away.

I'm still waiting for an answer from WP and/or Novell via WP.

Will

*Will Sadler		Indiana University Law School-Bloomington    *
*will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu	wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu       *