[comp.sys.novell] Memory on a nondedicated sever

ccc_jc@waikato.ac.nz (04/16/91)

Im running novell 2.15 as a non dedicated server.
My problem concerns memory management in these conditions, on the server.
It seems the novell opertating sytem uses all available extended memory
when it is started up....thus leaving none for applications running under
dos on the server, eg windows...

Has anyone found a solution to tricking the server into leaving some memory
for dos applications.....

john creek
waikato university
new zealand

jyoull@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu (Jim Youll) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.154503.3448@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_jc@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>Im running novell 2.15 as a non dedicated server.
>My problem concerns memory management in these conditions, on the server.
>It seems the novell opertating sytem uses all available extended memory
>when it is started up....thus leaving none for applications running under
>dos on the server, eg windows...
>
>Has anyone found a solution to tricking the server into leaving some memory
>for dos applications.....

Far as I know, that's the only way to go.
There is no extended memory on a Novell server, and there can't be...
So, the nondedicated server is limited to basically a 640K workspace
minus drivers. And you can't use any of the load-high tricks you can
on a workstations.

TSRs may lead to problems, also.

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.154503.3448@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_jc@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>Im running novell 2.15 as a non dedicated server.
>My problem concerns memory management in these conditions, on the server.
>It seems the novell opertating sytem uses all available extended memory
>when it is started up....thus leaving none for applications running under
>dos on the server, eg windows...
>
>Has anyone found a solution to tricking the server into leaving some memory
>for dos applications.....

NW 286 bounces back and forth between real and protected mode to accomplish
it's multitasking.  Therefore there is no way to utilize any extended memory
since there is none.

Ken

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook