[comp.sys.novell] Why is the fileserver so slow

harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) (04/12/91)

Hello netlanders,

A orginization I belong to recently computerized and installed a novell network
consisting of a 25MHz 386 with 2 286 workstations. The fioleserver is
not dedicated.

The problem we are having is that the file server is extremly slow. It may take
2-3 seconds to echo back your key stroke. There is 4 Meg memeory installed.
The vendor who installed the thing claims it is because of the keyboard on
the fileserver. It is not novell rated. I myself think that is bull$#%&.

I am by means an expert on novell but it seems to me (applying good sound
computer sense) is that the file server is extremly busy and not able to
service the keyboard.

I am real curious as to what type, if any memory management novell uses and if
it puts the 386 into protected mode. Is there any truth to what the vendor
claims? If so why would a keyboard slow down an operating system?

Please reply via e-mail to harter@ficc.ferranti.com I do not normally read this
news group.

Thanks in advnce for any assistance.

| Ron Harter                           | tongue tied and twisted just an earth|
| Ferranti International Controls      | bound misfit .. I                    |
| harter@ficc.ferranti.com             |          David Gilmour               |

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/15/91)

In article <V6OA1JC@xds7.ferranti.com>, harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) writes:
> Hello netlanders,
>
> A orginization I belong to recently computerized and installed a novell network
> consisting of a 25MHz 386 with 2 286 workstations. The fioleserver is
> not dedicated.
>
> The problem we are having is that the file server is extremly slow. It may take
> 2-3 seconds to echo back your key stroke. There is 4 Meg memeory installed.
> The vendor who installed the thing claims it is because of the keyboard on
> the fileserver. It is not novell rated. I myself think that is bull$#%&.
>
> I am by means an expert on novell but it seems to me (applying good sound
> computer sense) is that the file server is extremly busy and not able to
> service the keyboard.
>
> I am real curious as to what type, if any memory management novell uses and if
> it puts the 386 into protected mode. Is there any truth to what the vendor
> claims? If so why would a keyboard slow down an operating system?
>
> Please reply via e-mail to harter@ficc.ferranti.com I do not normally read this
> news group.
>
> Thanks in advnce for any assistance.
>
> --
> | Ron Harter                           | tongue tied and twisted just an earth|
> | Ferranti International Controls      | bound misfit .. I                    |
> | harter@ficc.ferranti.com             |          David Gilmour               |
-------------------
Ron,
	You've been had. The problem has nothing to do with the server's
keyboard for gosh sakes. Look for serious communications difficulties on
the network, and look for address conflicts in your server.
	Joe D.

douglas@wybbs.mi.org (Douglas Mason) (04/16/91)

In article <V6OA1JC@xds7.ferranti.com> harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) writes:

>Hello netlanders,
>
>A orginization I belong to recently computerized and installed a novell network
>consisting of a 25MHz 386 with 2 286 workstations. The fioleserver is
>not dedicated.

Hmmm...  A little more details might be helpful.  What version of Netware?
What exactly is the machine that you are running it on?  I have run Novell
under a score of no-name machines and haven't found any significant problems,
I find more problems trying to run RPRINTER than I do NETWARE.

Sounds to me like your dealer is giving you the run-around.  I would guess
that you bought the server yourself, which is "not Netware certified" and
he just happens to sell the official "Novell certified" servers...

-Douglas Mason

crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean Federal Systems Engineering x ????) (04/17/91)

 Actually, the keyboard controller may very well be at fault --- most
AT compatible 386's still use the 8742 type keyboard controller both
to communicate to the keyboard and to enter/exit protected mode.  Since
the "IBM compatible" method to exit protected mode requires a hardware
reset (ala 80286), this can be a time consuming operation.  Switching
back and forth from real and protected mode can indeed cause very slow
keyboard response when operating in non-dedicated fileserver mode which
is why, for example, the ZDS Z-386/20/25 is Novell certified for non-
dedicated mode only when the OS is patched to take advantage of a
specific hardware dependent fast reset feature.  This patch is available
from Novell's NetWire or the ZDS bulletin board --- see your dealer
to see if something similar is available for your system.

Pat Crean

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr14.211711.47411@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <V6OA1JC@xds7.ferranti.com>, harter@ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) writes:
>> Hello netlanders,
>>
>> A orginization I belong to recently computerized and installed a novell network
>> consisting of a 25MHz 386 with 2 286 workstations. The fioleserver is
>> not dedicated.
>>
>> The problem we are having is that the file server is extremly slow. It may take
>> 2-3 seconds to echo back your key stroke. There is 4 Meg memeory installed.
>> The vendor who installed the thing claims it is because of the keyboard on
>> the fileserver. It is not novell rated. I myself think that is bull$#%&.
>>
>> I am by means an expert on novell but it seems to me (applying good sound
>> computer sense) is that the file server is extremly busy and not able to
>> service the keyboard.
>>
>> I am real curious as to what type, if any memory management novell uses and if
>> it puts the 386 into protected mode. Is there any truth to what the vendor
>> claims? If so why would a keyboard slow down an operating system?
>>
>> Please reply via e-mail to harter@ficc.ferranti.com I do not normally read this
>> news group.
>>
>> Thanks in advnce for any assistance.
>>
>Ron,
>	You've been had. The problem has nothing to do with the server's
>keyboard for gosh sakes. Look for serious communications difficulties on
>the network, and look for address conflicts in your server.
>	Joe D.

There are known problems with non dedicated file servers and keyboards. Are
the two workstations experiencing slowdown as well?  If not, it's not a
communication problem.  The bios type of the server in conjunction with the
keyboard type *may* cause problems for the non dedicated workstation. There
is a discussion on the reasons for this phenomina (SP?) on CI$.  If you'd like
I'll try to obtain and post it.

Ken

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook