[comp.sys.novell] netware 2.2 and windows

rocks@nmsu.edu (Dave Rocks) (04/17/91)

	I have an office on campus that wants to set up a small, 3 machine
	network. I apparently have a choice between netware 2.2 and 2.15.
	The user wants to run the server in non-dedicated mode, and he also
	wants to be able to run Windows apps on the server. Is this
	possible? Would 2.2 or 2.15 be better? The server will be an IBM
	PS/2 model 70. And I don't think the user wants to spend the extra
	money to go to Netware 386. I can think of all kinds of memorey
	management problems with Novell in the background and Windows in
	the foreground. If anyone has done this, please let me know.

					Thanx,
					Dave Rocks
					New Mexico State University
					rocks@nmsu.edu

jsdph@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS DENNIS P) (04/17/91)

In article <1046@opus.NMSU.Edu>, rocks@nmsu.edu (Dave Rocks) writes...

>	I have an office on campus that wants to set up a small, 3 machine
>	network. I apparently have a choice between netware 2.2 and 2.15.
>	The user wants to run the server in non-dedicated mode, and he also
>	wants to be able to run Windows apps on the server. Is this
>	possible?

the short answer is no.  both windows and netware want to have
control over memory, and will inevitably conflict.  when windows
hangs, the user will have to reboot, and *poof* goes the server.

i would select netware 2.2 (mucho easier installation) and run it
in dedicated mode.  the grief and hassle factor soon outweighs
the cost of an extra machine to use as a dedicated server.  if
the network will be used for light duty with only 3 or 4 users, i
would suggest an inexpensive 12 mhz at clone with an esdi drive,
4 mb of ram, and a 16 bit network card.  save the model 70's
power for running windows as a workstation, where it will shine.

dennis p. harris					bitnet: jsdph@alaska.edu

  "The nation that controls magnetism controls the Universe." --- Diet Smith

jlamb@npd.Novell.COM (Jason "Nematode" Lamb) (04/18/91)

2.2 is always better to go with because of improvements in general to the
OS. So go with 2.2. Non-Dedicated File Servers are always rotten bets, but
if they insist, they will be able to run Windows on the server ONLY in Real
Mode. It is advised you explore whether or not Real Mode will be enough for
whatever applications they will want to run on the non-dedicated server.

Jason Lamb

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (04/20/91)

In article <1046@opus.NMSU.Edu> rocks@nmsu.edu (Dave Rocks) writes:

>	I have an office on campus that wants to set up a small, 3 machine
>	network. I apparently have a choice between netware 2.2 and 2.15.
>	The user wants to run the server in non-dedicated mode, and he also
>	wants to be able to run Windows apps on the server. Is this
>	possible? Would 2.2 or 2.15 be better? The server will be an IBM
>	PS/2 model 70. And I don't think the user wants to spend the extra
>	money to go to Netware 386. I can think of all kinds of memorey
>	management problems with Novell in the background and Windows in
>	the foreground. If anyone has done this, please let me know.

You won't be able to run windows in 386enh mode on the server.

Ken

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.014818.26707@npd.Novell.COM> jlamb@seneca.npd.Novell.COM (Jason "Nematode" Lamb) writes:
>2.2 is always better to go with because of improvements in general to the
>OS. So go with 2.2. Non-Dedicated File Servers are always rotten bets, but
>if they insist, they will be able to run Windows on the server ONLY in Real
>Mode. It is advised you explore whether or not Real Mode will be enough for
>whatever applications they will want to run on the non-dedicated server.

If they insist on a non-dedicated server, they'll have to use 2.15.
Netware 2.2 does not support non-dedicated configurations. Neither
does 3.x. (Just finished up a couple of seminars on NetWare today.)

I agree a non-dedicated server is a rotten bet--even if the server is
a 10MHz 286 with a 30MB drive, it's better to have it dedicated.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (04/21/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1991 23:47:00 GMT

In article <1991Apr20.000544.19476@sci34hub.sci.com> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>If they insist on a non-dedicated server, they'll have to use 2.15.
>Netware 2.2 does not support non-dedicated configurations. Neither
>does 3.x. (Just finished up a couple of seminars on NetWare today.)

Who delivered this seminar? NetWare 2.2 *can* run non-dedicated.

In my opinion, NetWare 2.2's best new feature is the massive simplification
of its packaging. Whereas before there was SFT NetWare, Advanced NetWare,
NetWare ELS levels I and II and probably others that I'm not aware of, now
there is only NetWare 2.2 in 5, 10, 50 and 100 user versions. The 4 versions
are identical in every respect other then the number of users supported
and each version can be installed as either dedicated or non-dedicated (you
make the choice at installation time).

Installing the 100 user version of NetWare 2.2 as non-dedicated probably
isn't such a smart idea but then I'm a NetWare v3.X type, so what do I know :-)

-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (04/22/91)

In <1991Apr20.000544.19476@sci34hub.sci.com> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>If they insist on a non-dedicated server, they'll have to use 2.15.
>Netware 2.2 does not support non-dedicated configurations. Neither
>does 3.x. (Just finished up a couple of seminars on NetWare today.)

>Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or

Netware 2.2 doesn't support non-dedicated mode?  Then there is a lot of
extra print in my 2.2 installation manual on how to set it up in non-
dedicated mode.  That is interesting if Novell is actually telling you
that it doesn't work.

I agree with using dedicated servers only.  Makes life a lot easier.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *