[comp.sys.novell] Pipe failure on network drives.

ericm@ims.UUCP (Eric Martinson) (04/21/91)

We have an AST 386C that will not allow pipes to work correctly on
network drivers.  The following error message is the the result:

	intermediate file error during pipe

The machine is a 20mhz 80386DX with the following facts:

	 AST packaged MS-DOS V3.30
	 1.2MB 5.25" Floppy drive (A:)
	 720KB 3.5" Floppy driver (B:)
	 80MB (IDE) Hard Disk
	 SMC ArcNet card.
	 Netware shell V3.02

This is a particularly bizzare problem.  I have not seen it on any
of our (150) other machines.  I tried using a copy of PC-DOS V3.21
since our other machines don't have this problem using this version
of DOS and I received the same error message.  If the command:

	dir | sort

is executed on a network drive, the error message is present but if
the command is executed while the current drive is a local drive, the
error message is not present.  The folks at AST's support center don't
have anything useful to contribute to the problem.

I originally felt the problem might be caused by some incompatibility
with QEMM V5.12 so I removed QEMM from the system and still didn't
get anywhere.

Sincerely,

Grateful for any pointers to a solution.

Remember, no matter where you go there you are       ericm@ims.UUCP

This is a test

declan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (D Fleming) (04/21/91)

Hi!  More needs to create an invisible temp file in the current dir to
scroll the info to screen.  Try it as a supervisor when you have write
privledges to the net drive.  Should work then.

gregpf@momenta.com (Greg Presedo-Floyd) (04/22/91)

ericm@ims.UUCP (Eric Martinson) writes:
>	intermediate file error during pipe
>	dir | sort

"|" creates a temp file to store intermediate processing.

DOS 5.0 BETA is the first COMMAND.COM to allow you to point "|" processing
to somewhere you *always* have rights (like c:/tmp) via an environmental var.

MKS Unix Toolkit has always allowed you to do this by setting the $TMPDIR
variable.

>error message is not present.  The folks at AST's support center don't
>have anything useful to contribute to the problem.

Wow, if this is true, I'm amazed ... AST ?
--
Greg Presedo-Floyd
gregpf@momenta.com	415-969-3876

ericm@ims.UUCP (Eric Martinson) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr21.151452.15064@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> declan@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (D Fleming) writes:
>Hi!  More needs to create an invisible temp file in the current dir to
>scroll the info to screen.  Try it as a supervisor when you have write
>privledges to the net drive.  Should work then.

I understand what you are saying and yo are correct.  When I login to my
account that has been given supervisor equivalence, the problem doesn't
exhibit itself.  The interesting this is that this is the only machine
that has caused this problem.  We have all of our home directories set
up with full permission for EVERYONE - we are pretty open here.  If I login
on any other machine, the problem doesn't exist.

This morning our network man found that the problem goes away if he
disables hardware cache on the AST Premium 386/C.  This seems pretty
bizarre to me.