[comp.sys.novell] Netware with Clarkson packet driver

jbrown@locus.com (Jordan Brown) (04/17/91)

I'm trying to make a multi-protocol-stack setup work, and not having much
luck, so I'd like to chat with others who might have fought the same battles.

The general idea is to run Netware (2.15) over the Clarkson packet driver
using BYU's IPX.COM.  I have two network cards I've been playing with -
3c501 and 3c505.  The packet drivers are hot off the press, version 9.
The IPX.COM (actually PDSHELL.OBJ) is v2.01, from 04/89.  I'm not
running any other network software, though of course that's the goal.

It all "plugs and goes", but pretty quickly grinds to a screeching halt
and hangs.  Running a different IPX package (Hughes LAN Systems
ProLinc) on the same machine over the same network cards to the same
server works like a champ.

Is there a newer version of BYU's stuff?  I dug around there with anonymous
FTP and didn't find anything newer.  Are the 3c501 and 3c505 Clarkson
drivers just flakey?

Anyhow, if anybody's worked with the BYU stuff, especially with 3c501s
or 3c505s, I'd like to talk about it.

Tnx.

dougs@claude1.rchland.ibm.com (J Doug Smith) (04/19/91)

--
Contact Kelly McDonald at BYU (kelly@dcsprod.byu.edu).  He's who wrote most of the stuff.  There are newer versions (I'm not sure what the current version is) but at last word, they could no longer distribute it.  Evidently, they licensed it to another company to sell, and they were only allowed to distribute it to departments on their own campus.  They were negotiating on this point, though.

Doug Smith
IBM Rochester, Dept. 43K
dougs@rchland.iinus1.ibm.com

sph@logitek.co.uk (Stephen Hope) (04/19/91)

jbrown@locus.com (Jordan Brown) writes:

>I'm trying to make a multi-protocol-stack setup work, and not having much
>luck, so I'd like to chat with others who might have fought the same battles.

>The general idea is to run Netware (2.15) over the Clarkson packet driver
>using BYU's IPX.COM.  I have two network cards I've been playing with -
>3c501 and 3c505.  The packet drivers are hot off the press, version 9.
>The IPX.COM (actually PDSHELL.OBJ) is v2.01, from 04/89.  I'm not
>running any other network software, though of course that's the goal.

>It all "plugs and goes", but pretty quickly grinds to a screeching halt
>and hangs.  Running a different IPX package (Hughes LAN Systems
>ProLinc) on the same machine over the same network cards to the same
>server works like a champ.

>Is there a newer version of BYU's stuff?  I dug around there with anonymous
>FTP and didn't find anything newer.  Are the 3c501 and 3c505 Clarkson
>drivers just flakey?

>Anyhow, if anybody's worked with the BYU stuff, especially with 3c501s
>or 3c505s, I'd like to talk about it.

>Tnx.

I had lots of problems with a 3c505 on Version 7 / 8 packet drivers. The
same thing happened with V9, until I tried setting the -d (no DMA) flag.
This seems much better. The machine is a Wyse 3225 25MHz 386. Pity about
not using the slave 80186 CPU on the 3c505 card tho.

Stephen Hope

#include <std.disclaimer>

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/23/91)

I've been successfully using the Clarkson drivers for several months, with
the 3c503 and ni5210 cards.  From another source, I got a driver for the
Gateway G/Ethernet AT, which works with some software and not others.

We have NetWare 3.10, and I use the -n flag with the device driver.

Older versions of NetWare, I seem to recall, don't work particularly well
because they don't reject 802.3 packets properly and eventually a race
condition nails them.  There's an ECONFIG script provided with the
Clarkson stuff which will address the problem, if that's what it is.

Have you inquired at Clarkson (Russ Nelson), via e-mail?

-rich

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) (04/23/91)

>I've been successfully using the Clarkson drivers for several months, with
>the 3c503 and ni5210 cards.  From another source, I got a driver for the
>Gateway G/Ethernet AT, which works with some software and not others.

How much memory do you lose?

ipx + net[3,4] = 60-70 Kb
packet driver = ?
PC-NFS = 100 Kb

We have someone interested in running PC-NFS on top of IPX. They are running
AutoCAD 386 and Drawbase.

Is this a realistic scenario?

Aloha,
Jonathan
jons@cup.portal.com

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/24/91)

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) writes:
>How much memory do you lose (using the Clarkson drivers)?
>
>ipx + net[3,4] = 60-70 Kb
>packet driver = ?
>PC-NFS = 100 Kb

Hardly any.  The NI5210 driver uses exactly 3K in its TSR.
Further details:

	IPXPDI (from BYU) = 16,960 bytes
	NET3 (from Novell)= 41,488 bytes
	Packet driver     =  3,072 bytes
		------------------------
		    Total = 61,520 bytes

-rich

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (04/26/91)

In article <41584@cup.portal.com> Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) writes:
>How much memory do you lose?
>
>ipx + net[3,4] = 60-70 Kb
>packet driver = ?
>PC-NFS = 100 Kb
>

>We have someone interested in running PC-NFS on top of IPX. They are running
>AutoCAD 386 and Drawbase.
>
>Is this a realistic scenario?

Use 386MAX to throw IPX and NETx into high memory. It works great and frees
tons of memory for 640 KB hungry applications.  I don't know if the packet
dirver and/or PC-NFS will like that tho'.  You might check into the DOS
workstation ODI support under 3.11 for IPX/TCP/IP support.

Ken

* Ken Haynes, CNE                    | 1-900-PRO-HELP
* Technical Support Product Manager, 900 Support
* UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook