[comp.sys.novell] Networked games

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) (04/17/91)

I was wondering if anybody knew of any networkable games that many
users can play simultaneously.  I was originally thinking of a network
chess game, but I suppose other games might lend themselves to this
idea.  Cost would have to be nil or close to it, as I'm sure the powers-
that-be would not be amused, but it could spur more enthusiasm for using
the file server network.  I'd like to see a chess tournament or some
such thing.  I've seen these on local BBS's, but never on a Novell
file server.  Is there such a beast?  Thanks!

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.183522.3392@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:

>I was wondering if anybody knew of any networkable games that many
>users can play simultaneously.
>Is there such a beast?

  There's Snipes, a shoot-em-up network game included with Novell.
  See the FM for more details.

Don McGregor             | "When transporting a monkey, don't let him take
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  the wheel no matter how much he screeches."

bkahn@spud.webo.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) (04/17/91)

  Populous is also NetWare aware and can be used by two separate players to
play against each other and send messages back and forth.  Ive run it on
a Portable box and it looked ok to me...

--
Bruce <I-wont-give-my-middle-initial> Kahn   Phone (508) 870-6488
NSDD / OpenLAN                            Internet bkahn@archive.webo.dg.com

spaterso@ka.excelan.com (Scott Paterson) (04/18/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 15:53:58 GMT

In article <1991Apr16.183522.3392@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:

>I was wondering if anybody knew of any networkable games that many
>users can play simultaneously.  I was originally thinking of a network
>chess game, but I suppose other games might lend themselves to this

You know how people play long distance chess games where one game might
last for a month or more?  How about a wide area network chess game?  I
thought that you could use NetWare MHS.  Write an user agent that is the
chess game.  You tell it who you are playing against such as joe@nyc and
when you make a move, the application submits a message to MHS addressed
to joe.chess@nyc.  The message is received by the other player's chess
application which then processes the move when Joe opens his chess front
end.  The next game would be Backgammon.  I'm going to do write this
eventually unless someone else does since it could be sometime before I
manage it.

-Scott

herzogs@prism.cs.orst.edu (Steve Herzog) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr16.183522.3392@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:

>I was wondering if anybody knew of any networkable games that many
>users can play simultaneously.

There is a PC game called Populous that will work on the network.  I've
seen a few people playing it here in our campus lab.  You need to use
a shared directory and only 2 people can play it at once.  The game where
you, in essence, play God (I hope not to offend any one here.) I believe
that it is a game you would have to pay for, though, and so it wouldn't be
much good, however, if you ever get a chance, I suggest that you look
at it.   The graphics are very well done.

A friend of mine also suggested BattleChess.  I've never tired it, but
He reassures me that it will work on a Novell network.  He says "It's
much better than normal chess. It's 3-d and the characters hack each
other up (ie famous Knight sceen from Monty Python)" Most likely sold
and not free. I forgot to ask.

If you have Mac's you might try a copy of NetTrek.  It is a Star Trek
game for the mac.  lots of noise, and graphics. great for wasteing time.

There is also Net Hack.  This can be downloaded from a multitude of
ftp sites.  I believe it is a D and D game, that will support many
users, but you mainly play the machine, and not the other people.
I believe there are versions available for Mac, IBM, and UNIX.

Hope these suggestions help.  By the way, do you support Mac and/or IBM?

Stephen Herzog
Kerr Library Computer Lab - Oregon State University
Software Support, and helpful person
Junior in Sociology                              -Hope I don't get flamed
Herzogs@prism.cs.orst.edu			  this is my first post