[comp.sys.novell] Novell 2.15c & DOS 3.x & > 32MB files

ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu (L. Jack Wilson) (04/27/91)

I finally understand how DOS 4.x accesses larger than 32MB partitions (after
reading the excellent description from SIMTEL20:

(    pd1:<msdos.info>
     dos40dsk.zip

written by IBM's Wyn Easton).

My question:  What method does Novell Netware 2.15c use to allow DOS to
access network drives > 32MB in size?  Obviously a translation method of
some kind is employed, but does anybody know any specifics, or can point me
to a good source of information?

The question arose when one of our users at the university began having
problems converting a database file > 32MB on a network drive > 32MB.
Since the workstation in question was running DOS 3.3, the first reaction was
to upgrade to DOS 4.0.  But after thinking a minute, why should this matter,
because the workstation is ALREADY capable of accessing > 32MB via
Novell!  The only explanation would be if the program in question (CLARION)
doing the massive database conversion was setting up some temporary files on
the workstation's hard drive using information incompatible with DOS 3.3's
32MB filesize limit.  But here again, Novell should be able to handle it, unless
(CLARION) internally is doing its own disk bookkeeping, bypassing
DOS/Novell.

Any comments?

Thanks.
--
Who:	L. Jack Wilson
What:	UTK OAC Microsupport

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr27.142624.14858@cs.utk.edu>, ljwilson@utkux1.utk.edu (L. Jack Wilson) writes:
> I finally understand how DOS 4.x accesses larger than 32MB partitions (after
> reading the excellent description from SIMTEL20:
>
> (    pd1:<msdos.info>
>      dos40dsk.zip
>
> written by IBM's Wyn Easton).
>
> My question:  What method does Novell Netware 2.15c use to allow DOS to
> access network drives > 32MB in size?  Obviously a translation method of
> some kind is employed, but does anybody know any specifics, or can point me
> to a good source of information?
>
> The question arose when one of our users at the university began having
> problems converting a database file > 32MB on a network drive > 32MB.
> Since the workstation in question was running DOS 3.3, the first reaction was
> to upgrade to DOS 4.0.  But after thinking a minute, why should this matter,
> because the workstation is ALREADY capable of accessing > 32MB via
> Novell!  The only explanation would be if the program in question (CLARION)
> doing the massive database conversion was setting up some temporary files on
> the workstation's hard drive using information incompatible with DOS 3.3's
> 32MB filesize limit.  But here again, Novell should be able to handle it, unless
> (CLARION) internally is doing its own disk bookkeeping, bypassing
> DOS/Novell.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Who:	L. Jack Wilson
> What:	UTK OAC Microsupport
> Where:	lwilson@utkvx3 (Bitnet)
> Why:	Standard Disclaimer fits nicely here.
---------------------
	The main reason that >32MB files are accessible and usable under
DOS 3.30 is that DOS is not involved! NetWare redirects the file i/o stuff
to the NW server and DOS never knows it happened. The NW shell does this,
hence the name "shell". A side issue is if an applications program cannot
handle large file sizes.
	So now you know why my NW server has a 680MB disk drive visible as
one volume and hence one drive letter on my PC which runs DOS 3.30. Oh boy,
no huge clusters and hence massive space wasted in tag ends, no funny drivers,
etc.
	Joe D.