[comp.sys.novell] Lanspool Print Stations

earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) (04/24/91)

Once again I approach the altar of pooled knowledge so that I
might accomplish mighty tasks and attain lofty goals (not to
mention impress the boss!).  Here goes:

We have three file servers so far in the Veterinary Hospital.
Probably at least two more will be added in the next year or
two.  How can I set up each file server to have access to the
same printer?  Said printers are connected to ISA-Compatible
workstations (with one MCA that we don't like to talk about) and
are generally used by users on a single file server.  However,
occasionally it would be helpful for people on other file servers
to print on those other printers.

Example:

User-A in Goss Lab is on File Server 1.  User-B in the Hospital is
on File Server 2.  Normally they mind their own business, but today
User-A has a report to send to User-B.  Since it's raining outside
and she doesn't want to walk, User-A would like to print on User-B's
network printer.  User-A is an authorized user on File Server 1 only.
User-B is an authorized user on File Server 2 only.  We use Lanspool
to do printer routing.  Buying more printers is out.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Earp
Computer Demi-god-in-training

hopp@incstar.com (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr23.181539.23839@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, earp@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James K Earp) writes:

> How can I set up each file server to have access to the same printer?
>  . . . However, occasionally it would be helpful for people on other
> file servers to print on those other printers.
>
> Kevin Earp
> Computer Demi-god-in-training

We also use Lanspool, and have multiple servers.  Our solution was to
create a minimal rights, password-less user called "printuser" on each
server.  (We haven't tested the limits of minimal rights - personally
I'd bet they need none.)  When one needs to print on another server's
queue, just attach to that server as "printuser" and go ahead and
capture.

We've not really looked at the security issues - we're doing this to
facilitate a change over - but I'd be interested to hear responses to
this method.
						-eric hopp
						 hopp@incstar.com