[comp.sys.novell] Login Script Gods, Ahoy

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) (05/02/91)

A question for anyone who has hacked around with Novell login scripts...
The SUPER REFERENCE book says that loading TSRs in a login script
using the EXIT command is a no-no. It seems that running them using
the "#" command is also kind of iffy.

Is there some way to load TSRs from a login script that _does_ work?

Thanks for you time,

    -- Chris Irie

                         | Philosophies:
Chris Irie               |  "The game isn't over till it's over."
ckirie@csg.uwaterloo.ca  |    -- Yogi Berra

steved@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.201944.39@maytag.waterloo.edu>, ckirie@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Chris Irie) writes:

> A question for anyone who has hacked around with Novell login scripts...
> The SUPER REFERENCE book says that loading TSRs in a login script
> using the EXIT command is a no-no. It seems that running them using
> the "#" command is also kind of iffy.
>
> Is there some way to load TSRs from a login script that _does_ work?

Any TSR loaded during the execution on a login script must load into memory
beyond the end of the LOGIN.EXE image in memory. When LOGIN.EXE completes
you will have a sizable gap in low memory.

A method I have found that does work is to use the script EXIT "COMMAND"
type command. I am told the keyboard buffer is stuffed with the COMMAND
as LOGIN.EXE terminates, so you have to keep it short. Mine connects with
a batch file that does TSR-like things.

SteveD.