[comp.sys.novell] Q--Can fileserver access local disks?

rfink@eng.umd.edu (Russell A. Fink) (05/03/91)

I'm running Novell 386.  I'm wondering if the file server can access the
hard drives of the local terminals connected to it?

It would be a really neat idea if all the machines that intend to use the Novell
Server would remain logged in indefinitely, and that the server could use the
disks of such machines as either swap space, backup space, or general storage
space for individual user directories.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?  Thanks for any response, in advance.

--
   //=====   //=====   Russ Fink  ===============
  //        //____     rfink@eng.umd.edu

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (05/03/91)

In <1991May3.003120.13929@eng.umd.edu> rfink@eng.umd.edu (Russell A. Fink) writes:

>I'm running Novell 386.  I'm wondering if the file server can access the
>hard drives of the local terminals connected to it?

>It would be a really neat idea if all the machines that intend to use the Novell
>Server would remain logged in indefinitely, and that the server could use the
>disks of such machines as either swap space, backup space, or general storage
>space for individual user directories.

>Has anyone heard of such a thing?  Thanks for any response, in advance.

Yes.  It is called "Zilla" and it only runs on NeXT machines.  It allows
the cpu time on all of the machines attached to the network to perform
routines when normally they would just be sitting idle.  If you had,
for example, 10 NeXTs plugged into a common network you could have
a *Bunch* of processing power.  I am not sure when this will be available
I have only read about it.  It would be nice if someone could do something
similar on a Novell network.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

vosseler@dorm.rutgers.edu (Thomas Vosseler) (05/06/91)

There is a utility called MAP ASSIST.  This will allow you to map local
hard drives and allow the net to access them.

I do not yet have this utility but from what I understand it works very well.

It will not give you any more processing power just more disk space.

Tom
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.003120.13929@eng.umd.edu> rfink@eng.umd.edu (Russell A. Fink) writes:
>I'm running Novell 386.  I'm wondering if the file server can access the
>hard drives of the local terminals connected to it?
Nope.  Not unless someone has written an NLM to do it recently.

If you consider the extra net traffic generated by  such an architecture,
not to mention the additional overhead at both fileserver and workstation,
you begin to get a picture of why this isn't a "neat" idea as you might
think.  There are peer-to-peer lans available.  One inexpensive one that
I've heard works great is LANTASTIC by Artisoft.  MAP ASSIST by Fresh
Technologies will allow workstation to workstation disk sharing over Novell's
IPX/SPX protocol, but it has some limitations.  Nothing I know of will
go from file server to workstation, except the new backup programs.

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day