[comp.sys.novell] WD cards and NetWare 3.11

robertt@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au (Robert Thompson) (04/30/91)

As I understand it NetWare 3.11 does not support Western Digital Ethernet
cards.

Does anyone know whether this is so, and if so are there any third party
drivers for WD cards?

Also as the implementation I need them for includes NetWare NFS for its TCP/IP
capability, drivers that can support this are needed.

Thanks to anyone "who knows".

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Robert Thompson                | CSIRO, Division of Building,         |
|   Internet:                     |        Construction and Engineering  |
|     robertt@mel.dbce.csiro.au   |   Highett, Australia                 |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.                    |
|                                                 - William Shakespeare  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (04/30/91)

Although i haven't tried it, the documentation for 3.11's tcp stuff says
that 3.0 and 3.1 lan drivers should work with 3.11, but will (probably
if not certainly) NOT support enhanced features of 3.11 like TCP/IP.  One
would expect therefore to get the traditional "old api" messages upon

WD will have to upgrade their server driver, probably.

At the workstation, I'd be extremely surprised if WD's drivers did not work.

 - Gary Chapman, New York University

mike@racsys2.UUCP (8934) (05/03/91)

and Netware 3.11 -- Novell does not supply the drivers, but they
are available from Western Digital. I had a similar problem last
year after converting to Netware 3.0, and discovered that W.D. has
a Bulletin Board System and will allow you to download the drivers
free of charge. If I had seen your question a year ago, I could have
mailed you a disk containing the drivers but, unfortunately, I was
laid off and no longer have access to the drivers or W.D.'s BBS
number. I suggest looking carefully at the documentation for your
W.D. Ethernet cards for a customer service number. (By downloading
directly from W.D., I had the drivers before our Novell dealer did!)
Sorry I can't be more help!

                         Mike

--
Mike Newman
Aloha, Oregon           UUCP: racsys2!delos!mike@flight.hf.intel.com

oowwoo@mixcom.COM (Tom J. Vandenberg) (05/07/91)

In article <683@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au> robertt@pleiades.mel.dbce.csiro.au (Robert Thompson) writes:
>As I understand it NetWare 3.11 does not support Western Digital Ethernet
>cards.

The last number I have on file for Western Digital's BBS is 714-753-1234
I believe it was operational as of a couple of weeks ago.  If not their
tech support number should be 800-638-5323  Yes, they do have the latest and
greatest Netware 2.1x/2.2 and 386 drivers out there.

Tom Vandenberg, CNE
oowwoo@mixcom.com