[comp.sys.novell] AT&T DOS with Novell

tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) (05/08/91)

I would like to connect an ancient (I'm talking vacuum tubes) AT&T PC-class
machine to a Novell 2.15C network.  IPX.COM loads fine.  When I try to
load NET3.COM, I un-failingly get a "memory allocation error".

The PC seems fine otherwise, and although it is in daily use, no one has
reported any memory errors.  It is running AT&T's version of MS-DOS 3.2.

Does anyone know of any incompatibilities between AT&T DOS 3.2 and Novell??

Thanks for you help.

	-Phil Tracy	tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
--
Phillip Tracy			Northwestern Univ.	(312) 503-1536
tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu	Academic Computing	Chicago, IL 60611

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.135139.3350@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
>I would like to connect an ancient (I'm talking vacuum tubes) AT&T PC-class
>machine to a Novell 2.15C network.  IPX.COM loads fine.  When I try to
>load NET3.COM, I un-failingly get a "memory allocation error".

  I never saw any vacuum tubes in Ollivetti-manufactured AT&T 6300
PCs, however as a software developer I came across several weird bugs
that only seemed to be resolved by upgrading the BIOS ROM's. I think we
eventually settled on version 1.43 as the best for 6300's. If your PC
has an older BIOS than 1.43 then you should give your AT&T reps a call.
  (Remember, in the 6300 the motherboard was upside down so to find the
BIOS you have to take off the bottom cover, not the top.)

>The PC seems fine otherwise, and although it is in daily use, no one has
>reported any memory errors.  It is running AT&T's version of MS-DOS 3.2.
>
>Does anyone know of any incompatibilities between AT&T DOS 3.2 and Novell??

  We never had any problems with the DOS as long as the BIOS it was
sitting on top of was updated.

>Thanks for you help.

  Don't thank me yet. Wait till you've trashed all your old 6300s and
then you can thank me.

>	-Phil Tracy	tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

--
Nathan Engle             Software Juggler
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) (05/08/91)

I ask, "Does anyone know of compatibility problems between old AT&T PC's
and Novell, etc.?"

Nathan Engle says,
	         "I never saw any vacuum tubes in ... AT&T"
[loosely quoted] "The best ROM version is 1.43 for these machines, I've
                  encountered strange things otherwise."

All right, all right, I *was* exaggerating about the vacuum tubes.
A little.  But thanks for the tip about the ROM versions.  I never would
have thought of it, really.  This is my first experience with these
beasties, and I hope it's my last.  Thanks again.

	-Phil
--

mtidgewell@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.135139.3350@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
> I would like to connect an ancient (I'm talking vacuum tubes) AT&T PC-class
> machine to a Novell 2.15C network.  IPX.COM loads fine.  When I try to
> load NET3.COM, I un-failingly get a "memory allocation error".
>
> The PC seems fine otherwise, and although it is in daily use, no one has
> reported any memory errors.  It is running AT&T's version of MS-DOS 3.2.
>
> Does anyone know of any incompatibilities between AT&T DOS 3.2 and Novell??
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> 	-Phil Tracy	tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
> --
> Phillip Tracy			Northwestern Univ.	(312) 503-1536
> tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu	Academic Computing	Chicago, IL 60611

I'm sure some has aswered this already, but I'll answer too.  AT&T DOS 3 is not
really DOS3.  It uses a DOS 2 file system.  The only answer we have is to run
AT&T DOS 2 or MS-DOS of the version of any flavor.  You lose the real time
clock, but Netware Shell will load date and time.  My main problem is finding a
way to backup AT&T 6300 to our net, the zircom won't work with it, I have to
boot with DOS 2, no xcopy.  I've been using lap link lately.  These things seem
to be the most uncompatable compatables sinse Columbia went out of business.
--
|       Matt Tidgewell         | "The biggest man was a baby |