[comp.sys.novell] arcnet star card - help

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (05/14/91)

  I bought a machine at an auction a while back.  It contained a 16-bit
arcnet card bearing the marking CN160A and those dreaded words: "Made In
Taiwan R.O.C".

 most things are marked in fairly straightforward fashion, but I'm having
a problem sorting out how to deal with SW1 ... a ten-switch DIP.

  SW 1-6 are marked i/o; 7-10 are marked mem.  Does anyone have info on
settings?  And does it require a special driver or will netware's stock
arcnet driver do it?

 Any info would be much appreciated.

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

gamerine@bluemoon.uucp (Glenn Amerine) (05/14/91)

ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) writes:

>   I bought a machine at an auction a while back.  It contained a 16-bit
> arcnet card bearing the marking CN160A and those dreaded words: "Made In
> Taiwan R.O.C".
>
>  most things are marked in fairly straightforward fashion, but I'm having
> a problem sorting out how to deal with SW1 ... a ten-switch DIP.
>
>   SW 1-6 are marked i/o; 7-10 are marked mem.  Does anyone have info on
> settings?  And does it require a special driver or will netware's stock
> arcnet driver do it?

If it is arcnet, the standard NetWare driver should work (just maybe not
as fast as custom drivers would run). As for the DIP settings, there are
a couple of shareware diagnostic programs (sorry, I can't remember the
exact names, but they contain arcnet in thier name) that would tell
you how the card was setup.

Glenn

 This is from
     gamerine@bluemoon.uucp
     gamerine%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet