[comp.sys.novell] LoginToFileServer Missing!

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (05/08/91)

OK, After giving up on already compiler .lib files for the Novell API,
because of bugs etc, I decided to use the source and refernec/compile it on the
fly. Unfortunately the routine LoginToFileServer() isn't present on my copy of
the API's. Not even on the originals that i spent time looking for. The disk
says Library Source Code Ver. 1.10 Diskette 2 of 10. There is only 1 disk that
has the source on it, the rest are compiled .lib files and it is a 1.2 meg
format with about 500k free.

Any ideas anyone?

PS. Does anybody know if I can upgrade for minimal $$ to 1.2 My local supplier
doesn't and I can't get them on the phone at the moment to ask about the
obvious bugs.

|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May8.162427.3631@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>OK, After giving up on already compiler .lib files for the Novell API,
>because of bugs etc, I decided to use the source and refernec/compile it on the
>fly. Unfortunately the routine LoginToFileServer() isn't present on my copy of
>the API's. Not even on the originals that i spent time looking for. The disk
> <stuff deleted>
>|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
>|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
>|  University of Waikato                                                     |

There is a Login example in the book "NetWare Programmer's Guide"
by John T. McCann, M&T Books.  Page 271-272.

Jim Serwer
PO Box 555
Cupertino, Cal 95015
408-296-4763
jims%svcs1@mips.com

ckeele@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/12/91)

In article <740@svcs1.UUCP>, jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) writes:
> In article <1991May8.162427.3631@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>>OK, After giving up on already compiler .lib files for the Novell API,
>>because of bugs etc, I decided to use the source and refernec/compile it on the
>>fly. Unfortunately the routine LoginToFileServer() isn't present on my copy of>>the API's. Not even on the originals that i spent time looking for. The disk
>> <stuff deleted>

> There is a Login example in the book "NetWare Programmer's Guide"
> by John T. McCann, M&T Books.  Page 271-272.

There is also a listing in the
LAN TIMES
BOOK SERIES

PROGRAMMER'S
GUIDE TO
NETWARE
by
Charles G. Rose
McGraw Hill(1990)

pp. 299-300  A floppy disk (3.5") is even included with source code.

Clifford Keele, Honors College, University of Oregon
ckeele@donald.uoregon.edu

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) (05/16/91)

jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) writes:
>In article <1991May8.162427.3631@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>>OK, After giving up on already compiler .lib files for the Novell API,
>>because of bugs etc, I decided to use the source and refernec/compile it on the
>>fly. Unfortunately the routine LoginToFileServer() isn't present on my copy of
>>the API's. Not even on the originals that i spent time looking for. The disk

>There is a Login example in the book "NetWare Programmer's Guide"
>by John T. McCann, M&T Books.  Page 271-272.

That's a VAP login example; it's not the same thing.  The code for
LoginToFileServer is not included because it contains "secret" password
encryption code, according to Novell Technical Support.  Don't waste your
money upgrading to v1.2; I've got it, and it's pretty poor.

						_emt

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.041501.9859@momenta.com>, tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) writes:
> jims@svcs1.UUCP (Jim Serwer) writes:
>>In article <1991May8.162427.3631@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

[Deleted]

>>There is a Login example in the book "NetWare Programmer's Guide"
>>by John T. McCann, M&T Books.  Page 271-272.
>
> That's a VAP login example; it's not the same thing.  The code for
> LoginToFileServer is not included because it contains "secret" password
> encryption code, according to Novell Technical Support.  Don't waste your
> money upgrading to v1.2; I've got it, and it's pretty poor.
>
> 						_emt

Thats a pretty poor excuse (IMO). The passwords for netware below 3.0 weren't
even encripted on the wire. The file server does it. Even the Netware for DOS
lists the Logintofileserver call. They could have just left out the encription
part nd put a note in there. Instead its simply missing.

GGGGRRRRRR!!!!