[comp.sys.novell] Dialing in to network

bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) (05/11/91)

	Well, the Subject line makes this cry for help pretty obvious.
Does anyone have any experience setting up a Novell network so that
users can dial in via modem and use the software? Can it even be done?
We've been trying and have encountered all sorts of trouble.

--
 Carlos Dragonslayer Butler|       "People often condescend
   bucacs@ux1.ctseiu.edu   |     what they fail to comprehend.
                           |  Peace, knowledge, love and happiness."

camargo@cs.columbia.edu (Francisco Camargo) (05/11/91)

My experience with dialing to a Novell 2.15 has been through
Carbon Copy v4.5 (I think). It works well, and I guess that
with 9600 Modems it may do wonders (I'm in process of getting the
modems now... we still use 2400).

But there is a problem: I cannot run Lotus 123 v3.1, risking losing my
remote hard-disk. In fact, I did it once, and it was so painfull, that
I won't try it anymore.

The questions then are: WILL PCANYWHERE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM ? WHAT ABOUT
A NEW VERSION OF CC ? WILL SOME PRODUCT TAKE WINDOWS 3.0 ? WHAT ABOUT QEMM
INTERFERENCE ? Wl, answers to these should settle the issue.

BTW, nothing against the services that CC can provide. I have it running on
a 286 machine, 24 hours a day, for already 2.5 years. Rarely I had to call
someone to have the machine rebooted. Well, that was mostly due to
call-waiting (disabled now), and before I had it set to reboot
after disconnect. Works great, but we are growing...

/Kiko
 camargo@cs.columbia.edu

[One last question: Will PCAnywere accept a connection over a network bridge ?]

graham@octogard.UUCP (Graham Mainwaring) (05/11/91)

bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) writes:

> Does anyone have any experience setting up a Novell network so that
> users can dial in via modem and use the software? Can it even be done?

It depends on just how ambitious you are.  If you want a single-line
dial in server, which can only have one user on at a time, you can run a
program like pcAnywhere or Carbon Copy in dial-in mode.  The users can
then run programs on the dial-in machine, using their homw PCs as
terminals.  The programs don't run remotely, so there isn't any problem
with trying to transmit big data files over the modem - you just
transmit screen updates.

If you want multiple lines, you can either have one machine per dial-in
line, or you can try to do something with DesqView or Windows 3.0 to
multitask several copies of pcAnywhere.  It largely depends on which
applications you want to run.  Some applications don't respond well to a
DesqView environment.

Note - this all assumes that the applications you want to run are
text-mode.  While it is possible to do graphical applications with this
sort of scheme, it is often glacially slow.  It also assumes that the
applications you want to run are, at least, only mildly misbehaved.  If
you have truly nasty applications (several popular 3270 emulators come
to mind), you're just not going to make it work like this.

If you can't get a pcAnywhere type solution to work, you're stuck with
using a modem-to-LAN gateway, which actually transports your IPX packets
across a dialup modem link.  While this is (barely) tolerable if you're
using a fast leased line, it's truly awful if your users have 2400-baud
generic modems.  However, (pretty much) anything that will run under
NetWare will run in this mode.
---
...!nstar!octogard!graham (Graham Mainwaring)
The Octopus's Garden BBS (919) 876-7213

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May10.203925.10586@ux1.cts.eiu.edu> bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) writes:

>	Well, the Subject line makes this cry for help pretty obvious.
>Does anyone have any experience setting up a Novell network so that
>users can dial in via modem and use the software? Can it even be done?
>We've been trying and have encountered all sorts of trouble.

I have heard good things about CUBIX
Shiva has a new product called NETMODEM that _looks_ interesting.

Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

braun@dri.com (Kral) (05/14/91)

In article <Z7VR24w164w@octogard.UUCP> graham@octogard.UUCP (Graham Mainwaring) writes:
>bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) writes:
>If you want multiple lines, you can either have one machine per dial-in
>line, or you can try to do something with DesqView or Windows 3.0 to
>multitask several copies of pcAnywhere.

Wait a minute; if all you need is multiple remote terminal access, something
like CDOS or MDOS (from Digital Research) would work.  But the sticky problem
is running multiple network sessions.  Currently, the IPX is single session (to
the best of my knowledge) is the real problem here.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
Whoever is calm and sensible

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May13.203915.17126@mercury.cair.du.edu> bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) writes:
>In article <1991May10.203925.10586@ux1.cts.eiu.edu> bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) writes:
>>
>>	Well, the Subject line makes this cry for help pretty obvious.
>>Does anyone have any experience setting up a Novell network so that
>>users can dial in via modem and use the software? Can it even be done?
>>We've been trying and have encountered all sorts of trouble.

What have you tried that gave you trouble?

>I have heard good things about CUBIX
>Shiva has a new product called NETMODEM that _looks_ interesting.

CUBIX works great, but it really depends on your application.  Sometimes a
router is more suitable.  What are you attempting to accomplish?

Ken

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (05/17/91)

>In article <1991May10.203925.10586@ux1.cts.eiu.edu> bucacs@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (Carlos Dragonslayer Butler) writes:
>	Well, the Subject line makes this cry for help pretty obvious.
>Does anyone have any experience setting up a Novell network so that
>users can dial in via modem and use the software? Can it even be done?
>We've been trying and have encountered all sorts of trouble.

Try Novell Access Server - they just release a new version this week -
you can have up to 16 remote dial in users on `dumb' terminals or
PC's.

(I just sent our press release about driver support to the comp.newprod
moderator - look out for it or mail rick@specialix.com for info).
--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781