[comp.sys.novell] Software to record site usage data

larryh@chopin.udel.edu (H Lawrence Hotchkiss) (05/15/91)

Hi Novellers,

The University of Delaware is looking for a simple way to log information about
use of specific applications running on a Novell Network.  Specifically, we
would like to record the following information in a file each time an applica-
tion is run from any station connected to the net:

     o Name of application (e.g., wp51, 123)

     o Site identifier

     o Station identifier

     o Time application entered

     o Time application exited

     o Date

Thanks in advance for your help.

         --Larry Hotchkiss

greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) (05/20/91)

In article <17126@chopin.udel.edu> larryh@chopin.udel.edu (H Lawrence Hotchkiss) writes:
>Hi Novellers,
>
>The University of Delaware is looking for a simple way to log information about
>use of specific applications running on a Novell Network.

Well, my simple way costs only your time.  It's not pretty or elegant, but I
use it and it works.  I launch net applications from a BAT-file menuing
system, so in each file I add a couple of lines:

(batch file code...)
systime >> logfile
echo [informative stuff] >> logfile
(batch file continues)

By doing this before and after the call to the application, I have a record
of the start and stop times of each application.  Periodically, I grab the
logfile, run my program that looks at the file, and print out the usage info.

Pretty awful and ugly, I know, but it works to a reasonable tolerance.
If you want me to be more specific I'll post examples.  Maybe buying soft-
ware from Brightwork would be preferable....
--
Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida