[comp.sys.novell] remote login

peggyl@unssun.nevada.edu (Peggy Lakey) (05/16/91)

On our Novell 2.15C File Server, we want to do remote login.  If we
attach a modem to a dedicated workstation and then have a user call in
from their modem at home, will we be able to do graphics?  I heard that
pcAnywhere IV might let us do this?  Does anyone know for sure, or has
anyone tried this?  I would assume both the workstation and the PC at
home would both have to be able to handle graphics as well.

Also, has anyone out there had experience with Novell's Access Server?
How would you rate it and how are you using it?

Thanks for any information!

Peggy Lakey             	peggyl@unssun.nevada.edu
University of Nevada
Computing Services

vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) (05/16/91)

In <192@equinox.unr.edu> peggyl@unssun.nevada.edu (Peggy Lakey) writes:

>On our Novell 2.15C File Server, we want to do remote login.  If we
>attach a modem to a dedicated workstation and then have a user call in
>from their modem at home, will we be able to do graphics?  I heard that
>pcAnywhere IV might let us do this?  Does anyone know for sure, or has
>anyone tried this?  I would assume both the workstation and the PC at
>home would both have to be able to handle graphics as well.

PC Anywhere IV will let you dial into the workstation, and login to the
network from home.  This operates quite well with the configuration you
describe.  I would advise loading AWHOST.EXE from the PCAIV high using
QEMM or some similar product, since it is a bit of a memory hog.

As for doing graphics: It CAN be done.  however the speed makes it totally
unacceptable.  Just think about it.  A typical VGA 16 Color graphics screen
has 648*480=307200/2 (pixels/byte)=153k of data.  A typical 2400 baud link
sends (without handshaking overhead in ONE direction) 300 Characters per
second.  At that rate it will take 510 seconds to SEND one entire screen
(about 8.5 minutes).  After that anytime ANY pixels on the screen are changed
they are sent.  Got any idea how many pixels are in a typical window :->.
Anyway even with data compression, you are NOT going to get any kind of
realtime response in graphics mode over one of these programs.

I think we are going to need to wait until someone comes out with a program
which can basically "translate" things like moving windows into commands which
can be sent across the modem link to an "echoed" system on the other side
using something like DDE.  It's a ways off I'd wager. :->

>Also, has anyone out there had experience with Novell's Access Server?
>How would you rate it and how are you using it?

NACS is basically Desqview running multiple PC Anywhere like emulators.
You can simulate this yourself if you experiment a little.  Each Desqview
window requires its own copy of Net3, and its own copy of the anywere AWHOST
program, linked to a particular serial port.  Only one copy of IPX is needed,
loaded before loading desqview.  Not for the weak at heart but it can be done.
Not having done it personally, though I can't give you any additional details
on the feasability (I do know someone who has set up 2 users simultaneously
through Desqview).

>Thanks for any information!

You're welcome.  :->
--
+--,,,,----U----,,,,--+ |/\+--+  +--+/\| | | University of Rochester

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) (05/22/91)

>On our Novell 2.15C File Server, we want to do remote login.  If we
>attach a modem to a dedicated workstation and then have a user call in
>from their modem at home, will we be able to do graphics?  I heard that
>pcAnywhere IV might let us do this?  Does anyone know for sure, or has
>anyone tried this?  I would assume both the workstation and the PC at
>home would both have to be able to handle graphics as well.
>
>Also, has anyone out there had experience with Novell's Access Server?
>How would you rate it and how are you using it?
>
>Thanks for any information!
>
>Peggy Lakey             	peggyl@unssun.nevada.edu
>University of Nevada
>Computing Services

Graphics via modem is still in the infant stage...there is a product
called PC Remote (I think) that advertises remote graphics availability.

Also, we have somebody who recently replaced the Novell Access Server
with the Cubix solution mostly because of speed. The Access Server gives
the equivalent of XT PERFORMANCE -- it was too slow. Cubix has a means of
being able to put 2 AT's on a single card.

The application is a large database that needs as much conventional RAM as
possible.

Aloha,
Jonathan
jons@cup.portal.com