[comp.sys.novell] NW3.11 problem!

sylvia@chopin.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) (05/16/91)

I also just got this message from another site on campus, with a 3.11
problem.  Perhaps someone could offer some ideas to solve this one. 8-)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So...you have any networks at 3.11?  Here's what we're seeing:
Whenever we take the server down, volume SYS disappears.  I mean like
gone...vrepair can't find it.

I also had a partition disappear.  You'd look at it in install and it
would say "netware 386 partition."  Then you'd ask to see the hot fix
area and it would say "there is no netware 386 partition on this disk."

As for NBACKUP, it brings up a big purple box and says "If you back up
to this version of netware, you are liable to corrupt the directory
structure."  And sure enough, it produces a million little errors,
including some that make the bindery inaccessible.

Got any ideas?  I'm tired of typing in my users over and over.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I haven't had an opportunity to physically check out the above problem
network yet, but I would appreciate some pointers before I do.

Thanks for any help  ...  Syl Berta

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/24/91)

In article <17131@chopin.udel.edu>, sylvia@chopin.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) writes:
> I also just got this message from another site on campus, with a 3.11
> problem.  Perhaps someone could offer some ideas to solve this one. 8-)
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So...you have any networks at 3.11?  Here's what we're seeing:
> Whenever we take the server down, volume SYS disappears.  I mean like
> gone...vrepair can't find it.
>
> I also had a partition disappear.  You'd look at it in install and it
> would say "netware 386 partition."  Then you'd ask to see the hot fix
> area and it would say "there is no netware 386 partition on this disk."
>
> As for NBACKUP, it brings up a big purple box and says "If you back up
> to this version of netware, you are liable to corrupt the directory
> structure."  And sure enough, it produces a million little errors,
> including some that make the bindery inaccessible.
>
> Got any ideas?  I'm tired of typing in my users over and over.
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I haven't had an opportunity to physically check out the above problem
> network yet, but I would appreciate some pointers before I do.
>
> Thanks for any help  ...  Syl Berta
-----------------
Syl,
	To be candid this appears to be cockpit error. The most common
pitfall is to mix programs from different releases. NW 3.11 came up smoothly
for me and a lot of people, and it doesn't lose SYS: etc. If the disk driver
is for an earlier release then all bets are off.
	A common slip is to edit AUTOEXEC and STARTUP.NCF from one location
but boot the system from other copies. Autoexec.ncf can be in sys:system,
startup.ncf needs to be in the DOS directory whence Server starts (as does
the disk driver).
	Another gotcha is partitioning the harddisk with DOS 4 extended
partitions. Don't, pretty please.
	NBACKUP is another story, a not very happy one. I would urge caution
when making backups with this utility. Cover youself with another kind of
backup program, say FASTBACK or even XCOPY  /S. Beware of shuffling backups
between systems having and not having Mac name space supported; the NBACKUP
material is different.
	Joe Doupnik