[comp.sys.novell] Windows .. missing

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (05/17/91)

Seems not to be a common problem, because I have posted this question
several times without any response, but maybe I am lucky with this one
We use SFT 2.15 and Windows 3.0, IPX and NET3 version 3.02. We are not able
to use .. in File-Requesters to change to a parent directory, although in
some programs it does work (Superbase). Is there anything we might have
missed during installation?
Thomas
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

ileader@sideways.gen.nz (Ian Leader) (05/23/91)

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
> We use SFT 2.15 and Windows 3.0, IPX and NET3 version 3.02. We are not able
> to use .. in File-Requesters to change to a parent directory, although in
> some programs it does work (Superbase). Is there anything we might have
> missed during installation?
> Thomas
> -------
> Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11

I may be well off target with this one becuase I am miles away from the
documentation and we aren't running windows, but I seem to remeber that
the new net3/IPX for windows have an option for setting "Display Dots"
which will control whether windows can switch directories properly.
Try checking in the Appendix of the Installation manual for the shell
options or alternatively in the Netware shell's readme.

                            - Ian Leader  (ileader@sideways.gen.nz)
                            - Avalon Television Centre
                            - Lower Hutt
                            - New Zealand

**These views MUST be my own because my company wouldn't be interested in
**having views on these things, anyway.

3ZMVZCO@CMUVM.BITNET (Millie) (05/24/91)

To Thomas Muhr (who is having problems with cd to parent dir):

When your workstation is booted with DOS, does its SHELL.CFG file
contain the line
              SHOW DOTS = ON

This might help your problem, it was mentioned in one of the document
files which came with our Windows3.0

Also, I am displaying my lack of knowledge here, but Windows uses a
lot of memory on the workstation, and I believe NET3 means it cannot
use high memory.  Our CONFIG.SYS first runs the device
              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS    (the himem.sys from windows package)
and we use XMSNET3 (for extended memory) instead of NET3.

Hope some of this helps.

Millie Wujek, Central Michigan U.