[comp.sys.novell] How many concurrent users can a NOVELL server handle?

chiam@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU (Ta Fuh Chiam) (05/10/91)

Hi,

I would like to know how many CONCURRENT users a 386 machine running NOVELL
NETWARE can handle. By CONCURRENT users, I mean the number of users actively

Can someone give me some statistics?

Thank you.

Ta Fuh Chiam

Ta Fuh Chiam
Ohio University, College of Business Administration / Phone: (614)593-2088
Management Information Systems                        FAX:   (614)593-1388
Copeland Hall 22                   INTERNET : chiam@vulcan.cba.ohiou.edu
Athens, Ohio 45701, U.S.A.            or    : chiam@cgruni.phy.ohiou.edu
                                   BITNET   : CHIAM@OUACCVMB
                          Use my first Internet address if at all possible.

Jons@cup.portal.com (Jonathan S Spangler) (05/14/91)

>I would like to know how many CONCURRENT users a 386 machine running NOVELL
>NETWARE can handle. By CONCURRENT users, I mean the number of users actively

You can get a 250-user version of NetWare v3.11 that is commercially sold.

However, if you have a machine that can support it (i.e., a "super-server")
then Novell *may* be able to sell you a 1000-user version...

>Thank you.
>
>Ta Fuh Chiam

>Ta Fuh Chiam
>Ohio University, College of Business Administration / Phone: (614)593-2088
>Management Information Systems                        FAX:   (614)593-1388
>Copeland Hall 22                   INTERNET : chiam@vulcan.cba.ohiou.edu
>Athens, Ohio 45701, U.S.A.            or    : chiam@cgruni.phy.ohiou.edu
>                                   BITNET   : CHIAM@OUACCVMB
>                          Use my first Internet address if at all possible.

Aloha,
Jonathan Spangler
jons@cup.portal.com

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (05/24/91)

chiam@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU (Ta Fuh Chiam) writes:

>I would like to know how many CONCURRENT users a 386 machine running NOVELL
>NETWARE can handle. By CONCURRENT users, I mean the number of users actively

Let me put it this way, we have almost 500 users, and we frequently have
over 230 of them logged on and doing things. All applications software is
one a single server. We have had slowdowns due the 16 meg not being enough
cache RAM. We expect our SystemPro 486/33 with 40 meg of RAM to fix that.

Basicly, I'd say it can handle more people than you can connect... We are
pretty heavy into dBase, Quattro, etc. And have upwards of 30 people in
one of these simultaneously. It works.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com