[comp.sys.novell] Netware 3.11

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (02/13/91)

Any dirt on the upcoming NetWare 3.11?  I have heard a rumor that it will
support Telnet sessions as a Novell service.  This seems pretty far out
to me, but I would love to have it!!

Any comments, observations and etc would be appreciated.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

dwd@usenet.umr.edu (Dan DeNise) (02/14/91)

In article <27B8940D.6172@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
>Any dirt on the upcoming NetWare 3.11?  I have heard a rumor that it will
>support Telnet sessions as a Novell service.  This seems pretty far out
>to me, but I would love to have it!!
>
>Any comments, observations and etc would be appreciated.

Janet Perry (janetp@novlell.com) posted the full text of the announcement
to NOVELL@SUVM.BITNET.  You should be able to pull it out of the archives
from LISTSERV@SUVM.  The parts describing using TCP/IP as a transport for
IPX are worded a little strange and might be misconstrued as Telneting to
the Novell server, but I don't think that's the way it works.

Dan DeNise
Computing Services
University of Missouri-Rolla
Missouri's Technological University
c0016@umrvmb.umr.edu

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (02/15/91)

In article <27B8940D.6172@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
>Any dirt on the upcoming NetWare 3.11?  I have heard a rumor that it will
>support Telnet sessions as a Novell service.  This seems pretty far out
>to me, but I would love to have it!!
>
>Any comments, observations and etc would be appreciated.
>--

Novell has been posting all sorts of release information on
the listserver Novell@SUVM.  I have been told that someone
will post that same information here at some point in the
(hopefully near) future.

3.11 will support IP from what I have read so far.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

brian@la.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (02/17/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 1991 16:32:10 GMT

In article <27B8940D.6172@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
>Any dirt on the upcoming NetWare 3.11?  I have heard a rumor that it will
>support Telnet sessions as a Novell service.  This seems pretty far out
>to me, but I would love to have it!!
>
>Any comments, observations and etc would be appreciated.

I'll leave out the dirt, my comments and observations might be perceived
as biased... so I'll just clarify the facts of the press releases in this
regard.

NetWare v3.11 includes TCP/IP support in terms of transport and network
protocols for the server only.  The TCP/IP NLM supports IP routing and
SNMP.  There is also a LAN driver, called IPTUNNEL.LAN, that encapsulates
IPX within UDP/IP packets.

Upper layer services, including NFS server, FTP daemon and Line Printer
daemon are in an optional package called NetWare NFS.  NetWare NFS installs
on the v3.11 server and offers NetWare file and print services to Unix
(and other TCP/IP equipped) clients.

A new version of LAN WorkPlace for DOS was announced that provides TCP/IP
transport and upper layer services for DOS and Windows-based NetWare
clients using common ethernet, arcnet and token-ring LAN adapters.  I've
sent an expanded version of the LAN WorkPlace for DOS press release to the
moderator of comp.newprod.  It should be visible shortly.

I noticed you are with a school.  There are rather substantial educational
discounts available.

brian
         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375

sc_s425@titan.kingston.ac.uk (Paul Rock) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb16.163210.2651@novell.com>, brian@la.excelan.com (Brian Meek) writes:
> In article <27B8940D.6172@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
>>Any dirt on the upcoming NetWare 3.11?  I have heard a rumor that it will
>>support Telnet sessions as a Novell service.  This seems pretty far out
>>to me, but I would love to have it!!
> NetWare v3.11 includes TCP/IP support in terms of transport and network
> protocols for the server only.  The TCP/IP NLM supports IP routing and
> SNMP.  There is also a LAN driver, called IPTUNNEL.LAN, that encapsulates
> IPX within UDP/IP packets.
>
> Upper layer services, including NFS server, FTP daemon and Line Printer
> daemon are in an optional package called NetWare NFS.  NetWare NFS installs
> on the v3.11 server and offers NetWare file and print services to Unix
> (and other TCP/IP equipped) clients.
>
> A new version of LAN WorkPlace for DOS was announced that provides TCP/IP
> transport and upper layer services for DOS and Windows-based NetWare
> clients using common ethernet, arcnet and token-ring LAN adapters.  I've
> sent an expanded version of the LAN WorkPlace for DOS press release to the
> moderator of comp.newprod.  It should be visible shortly.
--

But the big question on my lips is:

What will we have to buy to be able to make our NW3.1 network offer
TCP/IP services if we don't want to use TSRs? It looks like LAN
Workplace runs as a TSR. Anybody got any good ideas?

| Paul Rock                                                     |
| Assistant Computing Officer,                                  |
| Faculty of Science,    +--------------------------------------<
| Kingston Polytechnic,  |  Internal VMS Mail to:  in%"rock@ux" |
| Kingston-upon-Thames,  | Internal UNIX Mail to:  rock         |
| England.               | EMail to:  rock@king.ac.uk           |

kirkby@bandar.dg.oz (Chris Kirkby) (05/24/91)

Can a 3.11 Netware Server print to remote print queues on 2.11 Netware Servers ?
Thanks in advance

--
Chris Kirkby			| Internet:  kirkby@dgaust.oz.dg.com
Data General			| ACSnet:    kirkby@dgaust.dg.oz