[comp.sys.novell] AT&T Starlan 1 and BYU drivers

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (05/26/91)

we have a novell network which is based on WD 8003 UTP and AT&T Starlan 1Mbit
controllers.

i am planning on linking these to our TCP backbone.

i am fairly convinced that the BYU stuff will work with the WD controllers
when i ECONFIG the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's of the equipment with the WD
controllers in them.

what can i do for the servers that have the link to the Starlan 1's?

there are Packet Drivers for these cards, but when i ECONFIG, it tells me
some message that indicates to me that the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's can't
be configred.

is this a problem?

thanx
--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]

In article <1991May26.042350.28282@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

   we have a novell network which is based on WD 8003 UTP and AT&T
   Starlan 1Mbit controllers.

Is this one network or two?  If it's one, then you've already got the
AT&T gizzie that converts between DIX Ethernet and Starlan 1.  Since it
makes this reply easier, I'll assume you've got one.  If you don't, there's
still hopelll

   i am fairly convinced that the BYU stuff will work with the WD controllers
   when i ECONFIG the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's of the equipment with the WD
   controllers in them.

It's not necessary to econfig when using the Clarkson drivers.  The -n switch
will convert between Novell's "802.3" packets and bluebook Ethernet.  The
IPX.COM needs to be econfiged, but that's not a problem.  The server doesn't
need to be econfiged, because the packets on the wire are Novell's "802.3"
packets.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
Clear cutting is criminal, spiking trees is criminal, and using hyperbole of

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May26.042350.28282@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>i am fairly convinced that the BYU stuff will work with the WD controllers
>when i ECONFIG the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's of the equipment with the WD
>controllers in them.

If you are trying to econfig the BYU shells, you can't. You "econfig" the
BYU shell by setting the packet driver. The default frame type of the
packet driver is DIX. Using the packet driver's -n flag will set the
frame type to Novell "IEEE".

If you are using raw AT&T Starlan drivers for Novell and can't econfig
them (econfig returns with a "can't change packet type"), you have a real
old set of drivers, get the latest from Novell's forum on Compuserve.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu (Tom Barton) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.042350.28282@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>we have a novell network which is based on WD 8003 UTP and AT&T Starlan 1Mbit
>controllers.
>
>i am planning on linking these to our TCP backbone.
>
>i am fairly convinced that the BYU stuff will work with the WD controllers
>when i ECONFIG the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's of the equipment with the WD
>controllers in them.
>
>what can i do for the servers that have the link to the Starlan 1's?
>
>there are Packet Drivers for these cards, but when i ECONFIG, it tells me
>some message that indicates to me that the NET$OS.EXE and IPX.COM's can't
>be configred.
>
>is this a problem?
>
>thanx
>--

Since you will need an IP router to link your starlan and the campus backbone,
you might find it simpler to continue to use existing ipx.com's to drive the
hardware (and not bother econfig'ing), and then use the ipxpkt.com program
which accomanies the Clarkson packet driver distribution for IP protocol
stacks. Ipxpkt presents a packet driver interface to applications like telnet
clients, but wraps IP packets up in IPX packets for transmission and routing
over your Novell network.  Each workstation would load ipxpkt.com after the
original ipx.com (with -n specified if you don't econfig). The router which
will provide the gateway to the campus backbone would use the same scheme for
its starlan interface. Its ipxpkt will unwrap the IP-in-IPX packets and
present them to the routing software. Both PCROUTE and KA9Q are suitable as
IP-routing software in this scenario, and they are freely available. If your
Novell network will not constitute an IP subnet, then these routers will need
to be modified to function as "transparent gateways".

--
Tom Barton			Internet: bartont@next2.msci.memst.edu
Department of Math Sciences	  Bitnet: bartont@memstvx1