[comp.sys.novell] Finally, down to cables...

camargo@cs.columbia.edu (Kiko) (05/27/91)

Hi there,

Well, here we go again...

We are ready to start deploying Thin-Ethernet cables in a 3-floor building,
and I just came up with a few concerns that might not be relevant. In any
case, here they are:

.	What is the minimal "T" cable drop, from a Thin-Ethernet to the NIC ?

.	Is is really advantageous to have the T-connectors in the NIC's
	themselves ?

.	What is the effect of using wall-plates with 2 BNC connectors, and
	each workstation connected to the ethernet with a T in the NIC ?
	Won't this arrangement easily exceed the "minimal number of
	connections"  ?

We are planning to run 6 sub-segments, each about 120 feet long, with 10
workstations in each (in average). They will be connected through a T-connector
in the back of 3 NIC's in the file-server, thus yielding 3 actual segments.

The realm of the question is: Should we put "T-connectors" inside the wall, or
have the "T-connectors" in the workstations? While the "T-in-the-wall" solution
is "cleanner", the "T-in-NIC" is more flexible, but adds to the number of
connections in each segment.

My knowledge of "Thin-Ethernet limit-values" calls for 30 connections, at most,
in each segment, limit that will be easily exceed if we use the "T-in-NIC"
solution. Is anybody out there to say that I'm wrong ?

In case I'm not, how far away can a workstation be from a "T-in-the-wall" ?

Well, thanks for any help.

/Kiko
 camargcs.o@colbia.edu

[Disc: To this date, I had experiences only with the "T-in-NIC" solution, in
       much more limited spaces. Thus, these questions were never an issue.]

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (05/27/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.675297173.camargo@cs.columbia.edu>, camargo@cs.columbia.edu (Kiko) writes:
> Hi there,
>

> Well, here we go again...
>
> We are ready to start deploying Thin-Ethernet cables in a 3-floor building,
> and I just came up with a few concerns that might not be relevant. In any
> case, here they are:
>
> .	What is the minimal "T" cable drop, from a Thin-Ethernet to the NIC ?
>
> .	Is is really advantageous to have the T-connectors in the NIC's
> 	themselves ?

 Ill take these 2 together. In thin-net it is mandatory to have the T connected
directly to the NIC. Any length of cable will produce echoes and may well
render the network unusable. having said that I have on occasion in an
emergency used a short length of cable straight to the NIC, but it didn't work
very well. So stoick to the specs and put the T directly onto the NIC.

> .	What is the effect of using wall-plates with 2 BNC connectors, and
> 	each workstation connected to the ethernet with a T in the NIC ?
> 	Won't this arrangement easily exceed the "minimal number of
> 	connections"  ?

Ahh? If I understand the question properly, then make sure you don't go over
spec on the number of connections allowed. Each wall plate will act like a T is
there (pretty much anyway) whether there is a T or a straight piece of cable. I
have had experience with AMP connectors (something DEC seem to be getting into)
that you simply push a special T cable into that breaks the segment and routes
it through the double coax to give a T on a single cable. Nice and neat but can
be unreliable if connected and disconnected roughly too many times. (ie the
wall connectors are pretty fragile)

> We are planning to run 6 sub-segments, each about 120 feet long, with 10
> workstations in each (in average). They will be connected through a T-connector
> in the back of 3 NIC's in the file-server, thus yielding 3 actual segments.
>
> The realm of the question is: Should we put "T-connectors" inside the wall, or
> have the "T-connectors" in the workstations? While the "T-in-the-wall" solution
> is "cleanner", the "T-in-NIC" is more flexible, but adds to the number of
> connections in each segment.

 Put them ON the NIC. In the wall wont work with thin net.

> My knowledge of "Thin-Ethernet limit-values" calls for 30 connections, at most,
> in each segment, limit that will be easily exceed if we use the "T-in-NIC"
> solution. Is anybody out there to say that I'm wrong ?
>
> In case I'm not, how far away can a workstation be from a "T-in-the-wall" ?

 0. See above.

Hope this helps.

|  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |