[comp.sys.novell] Request for info on NET$* file formats.

jgjack@uctvax.uct.ac.za (Graham Jack) (05/13/91)

Hello Novell Users,

 I have a very simple question for the Net.  Where do I find out about
 the format of NOVELL's NET$* files.  The ones that interest me are:

	NET$ACCT.DAT
	NET$BVAL.SYS
  and   NET$BIND.SYS

 The reason I am looking for this information is that I am writting some
 utilities that need the info that is in these files (or at least I hope
 it is in these files).

Thanks in advance,

J. Graham Jack
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Cape Town, South Africa.
jgjack@ucteeb.ee.uct.ac.za

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (05/24/91)

jgjack@uctvax.uct.ac.za (Graham Jack) writes:

> I have a very simple question for the Net.  Where do I find out about
> the format of NOVELL's NET$* files.  The ones that interest me are:

>	NET$ACCT.DAT
>	NET$BVAL.SYS
>  and   NET$BIND.SYS

> The reason I am looking for this information is that I am writting some
> utilities that need the info that is in these files (or at least I hope
> it is in these files).

You *don't* need the format of those files, as only the server is allowed
access them. What you need is a copy of the Netware API manuals, and
either the C Interface Library from Novell or a shareware API library.

Messing with those files is dangerous. It's also a major security
problem, which is why Novell only allows access thru the API.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com

graham@octogard.UUCP (Graham Mainwaring) (05/28/91)

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) writes:

> You *don't* need the format of those files, as only the server is allowed
> access them. What you need is a copy of the Netware API manuals, and
> either the C Interface Library from Novell or a shareware API library.

I didn't know there *were* shareware API libraries for NetWare.  I would
very much like to find something like that, as I am in a position where
NetWare programming in languages other than C would be highly useful.

While I'm on the subject - does anyone have a library-independant code
fragment which will query the shell for the user's current primary login ID,
in any language (C preferred)?

Thanks in advance...

---
The Octopus's Garden BBS     UUCP:      [backbone]!nstar!octogard!graham
         +1 919 876 7213     Internet:  graham%octogard@nstar.rn.com