[comp.sys.novell] Crash course in Novell??

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (05/24/91)

I have just been given the possibility of setting up a 25 user Novell
network.

Problem: I've never so much as used a Novell network before, let alone
         install one.

Question: How long would it take someone who's never looked at the manuals
          before to learn how to install Novell and get it working?

I'm not a complete network beginner, I have installed Lantastic/AI using
the WD8013EP boards.

I do not know yet whether it is going to be Netware 386<3.11> or 286<2.2>,
but more than likely it will be the 286 version.
I have heard rumors about how much more difficult it is to install and
run the 286 version, but I just talked to Novell and they told me that
the 286 version has been changed so that its now much easier to install.

What sorts of problems can I expect to run into?
Would there be any advantages to using WD boards over the NE boards or
vice versa?

Any pointers/tips/etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charles

ileader@sideways.gen.nz (Ian Leader) (05/28/91)

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
> Question: How long would it take someone who's never looked at the manuals
>           before to learn how to install Novell and get it working?
>
> I have heard rumors about how much more difficult it is to install and
> run the 286 version, but I just talked to Novell and they told me that
> the 286 version has been changed so that its now much easier to install.
>
> What sorts of problems can I expect to run into?
> Would there be any advantages to using WD boards over the NE boards or
> vice versa?

I've not actually seen 286 2.2 but from what I've heard, the install is
now very much like the 386 versions.  If this is the case, it's really
just a case of following through the manual step by step.
Probably the best advice would be to ensure you plan your
directory/volume structure before you even think about any installation,
and read the planning section of the installation manual very carefully
to ensure you fully understand how novell is going to use the structure.

With regard to NE/WD cards; the main advantage of NE cards is that they
and their drivers are bound to be compatible with the latest version of
Novell Netware, whereas, WD have, in the past been a little slow to get
their drivers up to the latest versions.
This aside, the advantage of WD cards, from my experience is that thier
performance is considerably better than the equivalent NE card.

                            - Ian Leader  (ileader@sideways.gen.nz)
                            - Avalon Television Centre
                            - Lower Hutt
                            - New Zealand

**These views MUST be my own because my company wouldn't be interested in
**having views on these things, anyway.