[comp.sys.novell] SetTrustee

mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/25/91)

I have posted this twice before but I haven't figured out a
solution and I haven't received a single reply.  The problem
is the SetTrustee() function of the NetWare C Interface doesn't
always work.

When I use it to set file trustee assignments on the W: drive
it won't usually work.  It will always work on low drive letters
like F: or H:.  In fact, it always seems to work on drive U:.
I did see it work once on drive W:.

It's not a problem with file security or anything because the
tests were done on the same files in the same directories... just
used different drive letters to map to them.

I've heard lots of bad things about the NetWare C Interface but
this is my first experience with it.  Is this type of problem
typical?

Any clues or suggestions would be appreciated.  I prefer E-mail

Thanks.

ileader@sideways.gen.nz (Ian Leader) (05/28/91)

mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> I have posted this twice before but I haven't figured out a
> solution and I haven't received a single reply.  The problem
> is the SetTrustee() function of the NetWare C Interface doesn't
> always work.
>
> When I use it to set file trustee assignments on the W: drive
> it won't usually work.  It will always work on low drive letters
> like F: or H:.  In fact, it always seems to work on drive U:.
> I did see it work once on drive W:.
>
> It's not a problem with file security or anything because the
> tests were done on the same files in the same directories... just
> used different drive letters to map to them.

I'm not familiar with the details of the API function calls, but one
thought that occurs with relation to it only working on 'low' drive
letters is that the 'low' drive letters are usually mapped to logical
drives, whereas the higher ones correspond to search mappings.
Have you tried doing a striaght MAP X:=<pathname> to overwrite a search
mapping and see if it still fails?  Just a thought - flame me if you
wish! :-)

                            - Ian Leader  (ileader@sideways.gen.nz)
                            - Avalon Television Centre
                            - Lower Hutt
                            - New Zealand

**These views MUST be my own because my company wouldn't be interested in
**having views on these things, anyway.