[comp.sys.novell] Macs on Novell v2.15c

widdicom@ADS.COM (Greg Widdicombe) (05/29/91)

I currently have a two server network, one server has a Novell NL1000
card with Mac VAPs running, the other a Novell NE2000 with Mac VAPs.
The Macs that use Appletalk (PhoneNet cabling) can see the first
server, the Macs that use Appletalk (ethernet) can see the second.

Q1:  If I install a NE2000 in the first server can a Mac talking
ethernet then see both servers, and choose which to log in to?

Q2:  If I leave the NL1000 in the first server and also install a
NE2000 as above, will this work as well (that is, a user can talk to
the server irrespective of their cabling, because we have both types
of cards installed).

Any and all answers welcome!
--
     Greg Widdicombe       |  Advanced Decision Systems   |    _--_|\
  * Up from Down Under *   |  1500 Plymouth Street,       |   /     *\
     widdicom@ads.com      |  (415) 960-7300              |         v

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (05/31/91)

In article <uehvsfu1la@ads.com> widdicom@ADS.COM (Greg Widdicombe) writes:
> I currently have a two server network, one server has a Novell NL1000
> card with Mac VAPs running, the other a Novell NE2000 with Mac VAPs.
> The Macs that use Appletalk (PhoneNet cabling) can see the first
> server, the Macs that use Appletalk (ethernet) can see the second.
>
> Q1:  If I install a NE2000 in the first server can a Mac talking
> ethernet then see both servers, and choose which to log in to?

Yes.

> Q2:  If I leave the NL1000 in the first server and also install a
> NE2000 as above, will this work as well (that is, a user can talk to
> the server irrespective of their cabling, because we have both types
> of cards installed).

No.

Any third party AppleTalk router would solve this problem.  The FastPath,
GatorBox, Liason, Apple Router, and even NetWare v3.11 with NetWare for
Macintosh v3.0 will do.

++Tim

Tim Myers
Senior Software Consultant
Novell, Inc.
"Macintosh: the only GUI that doesn't SUCK."