[comp.sys.novell] MS-WORD 50 with NetWare

muller@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (Francois Muller) (05/14/91)

I have a NetWork running under Novell NetWare 2.15.
I installed it last week.
I tried to run my single user WORD version but I could not print any
file.
Should I buy a net-version of WORD or should I reinstall it or did I
make any mistake ?

Thank you

ckeele@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/14/91)

In article <10932@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de>, muller@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (Francois Muller) writes:
> I have a NetWork running under Novell NetWare 2.15.
> I installed it last week.
> I tried to run my single user WORD version but I could not print any
> file.
> Should I buy a net-version of WORD or should I reinstall it or did I
> make any mistake ?

I haven't had any problems with either the single user versions, or the
net versions of MS Word 5.0 working on the Net.  I would, however,
recomend re-installing word 5.0 if you are using it on the net.  There
is a network installation option in the setup program.  If you are using
it on a single workstation, you should be fine.

You might verify your print queues are set up properly by trying to print
from DOS.  You can use the  command: "copy foo.txt lpt1:" if nothing happens,
then you have a network setup problem.
One other note is that you should have at least release 5.0A of Word
since the original 5.0 is quite buggy, and I believe that 5.0A was a free
upgrade.

Clifford Keele
clkeele@hephaestus.honors.uoregon.edu
ckeele@donald.uoregon.edu

efdunne@dit.ie (05/30/91)

Francois Muller writes :

>I have a NetWork running under Novell NetWare 2.15.
>I installed it last week.
>I tried to run my single user WORD version but I could not print any
>file.
>Should I buy a net-version of WORD or should I reinstall it or did I
>make any mistake ?

You did not say if you could print anything at all on your NetWork with
or without MS Word. If you can print files from the DOS prompt or from
within PCONSOLE then ignore the next paragraph.

If you can't print at all, from within PCONSOLE or MS Word then it could
be a problem with your print queue + spooler setup. When you boot up the
file server, it looks for a file called 'AUTOEXEC.SYS' which is located in
SYS:\SYSTEM. If the file doesn't exist then the server defaults to creating
one print queue for each printer ,maps the queue to each printer and performs
the spooling. However, if the file exists and is empty (0 bytes) then the
default options will not be performed and nothing will get printed. We have
Advanced Netware 2.12 and it took me ages to cop that. The commands for the
'AUTOEXEC.SYS' are in the Supervisor's Reference + Guide manuals and go
along the lines of :
        To map a queue to a printer : P[RINTER] nn ADD [QUEUE] name
        To map a spooler to a queue : S[POOL] nn name
                [ ] - info in brackets is optional

So your 'AUTOEXEC.SYS' might read like :
        p 0 add printq_0
        s 0 printq_0

Back to MS Word. Are you using the 'CAPTURE' command ? We use MS Works and
I had problems until I realised that when I tried to print files, the data
was going to the ports on the back of the workstation instead of the network
printer. What the 'CAPTURE' command does is hang a 'GO AWAY' sign over these
ports so that the data is sent along the Ethernet cable instead or whatever
you're using. The format for 'CAPTURE' is :
        capture [options]
One the options you will want is : na ,  NoAutoendcap which means you don't
have to exit a package before it starts printing and for your purposes, it
may be the only option you will need but check the manuals first.

I hope that this will help anybody with a problem like this. But can I just
say that to run a package over a network, you must have a network licence
and everybody now knows that you don't have one.

Now that I'm here, I might as well throw in a question.

I'm trying to find out about what TCP/IP is all about. We have a Sun
workstation and I would to be able to connect it up to our Netware if
I knew what I was doing. Does anybody know of some good books on TCP/IP,
or even better, stick a few lines of info in plain English into the news to
gently break me into the subject.

Thanking you in advance,

Eoin Dunne.

Let s/he who knows everything about Netware cast the first stone.

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (05/31/91)

In article <8589.28450840@dit.ie>, efdunne@dit.ie says:

>Francois Muller writes :
>
>>I have a NetWork running under Novell NetWare 2.15.
>>I installed it last week.
>>I tried to run my single user WORD version but I could not print any
>>file.
>>Should I buy a net-version of WORD or should I reinstall it or did I
>>make any mistake ?
>
>You did not say if you could print anything at all on your NetWork with
>or without MS Word. If you can print files from the DOS prompt or from
>within PCONSOLE then ignore the next paragraph.
>
>If you can't print at all, from within PCONSOLE or MS Word then it could
>be a problem with your print queue + spooler setup. When you boot up the
>file server, it looks for a file called 'AUTOEXEC.SYS' which is located in
>SYS:\SYSTEM. If the file doesn't exist then the server defaults to creating
>one print queue for each printer ,maps the queue to each printer and performs
>the spooling. However, if the file exists and is empty (0 bytes) then the
>default options will not be performed and nothing will get printed. We have
>Advanced Netware 2.12 and it took me ages to cop that. The commands for the
>'AUTOEXEC.SYS' are in the Supervisor's Reference + Guide manuals and go
>along the lines of :
>        To map a queue to a printer : P[RINTER] nn ADD [QUEUE] name
>        To map a spooler to a queue : S[POOL] nn name
>                [ ] - info in brackets is optional
>
>So your 'AUTOEXEC.SYS' might read like :
>        p 0 add printq_0
>        s 0 printq_0
>

>Back to MS Word. Are you using the 'CAPTURE' command ? We use MS Works and
>I had problems until I realised that when I tried to print files, the data
>was going to the ports on the back of the workstation instead of the network
>printer. What the 'CAPTURE' command does is hang a 'GO AWAY' sign over these
>ports so that the data is sent along the Ethernet cable instead or whatever
>you're using. The format for 'CAPTURE' is :
>        capture [options]
>One the options you will want is : na ,  NoAutoendcap which means you don't
>have to exit a package before it starts printing and for your purposes, it
>may be the only option you will need but check the manuals first.

I don't think you want to use NoAutoendcap. By default, Novell will spool
everything you print until you leave the application and then print it all
together. (There are some exceptions to this rule). It does this so that it
can be sure that it doesn't print part of your job with bits of somebody
elses files in the middle of it.  If for some reason you want to string the
output from 2 or 3 packages together in 1 print job, you do a CAPTURE NA
do your printing in your different packages, then do an ENDCAP. This sends
all the stuff you have spooled to the print queue.

If you want to print from say Word, and want your job to print without
from WORD, use the TImeout parameter. Typically we use
CAPTURE L=1 Q=CARB1 NB NFF TI=10
which tell CAPTURE that if it doesn't recieve any output for 10 seconds,
the job must be finished, so it can be printed. The only time the TI parameter
needs to be larger is for packages generating large graphics images, when
workstations may stop in the middle of printing to calculate the next bit.
if they stop for more than 10 seconds, the job gets chopped in 2, with
(usually) disasterous consequences.

>I hope that this will help anybody with a problem like this. But can I just
>say that to run a package over a network, you must have a network licence
>and everybody now knows that you don't have one.
You don't need a network license to run your own copy of a package on a
PC connected to the network so that you can share network printers.
Indeed, MicroSofts license, if I ercall it correctly, would allow you
to install it on your network drive, so that you you could run it from
any network node, as long as only one node used it at a time.

>Now that I'm here, I might as well throw in a question.
>
>I'm trying to find out about what TCP/IP is all about. We have a Sun
>workstation and I would to be able to connect it up to our Netware if
>I knew what I was doing. Does anybody know of some good books on TCP/IP,
>or even better, stick a few lines of info in plain English into the news to
>gently break me into the subject.
Here, I can help. You need to use packet drivers, and NCSA Telnet or CUTCP.
(This will allow you to login to the SparcStation from a PC, as if from a
VT terminal, but won't allow you to share files transparently).

Unfortunately, you can't run Packet Drivers and plain Vanilla IPX on a PC at
the same time. Fortunately, there is a version of IPX that will run 'through'
a Packet Driver. Unfortunately, you have to ECONFIG your server to use
this version of IPX. But that's probably a good idea anyway, seeing as you
have IPX, XNS, and TCP/IP on the same wire. Unfortunately, your old IPX
boot disks will all have to be ECONFIGed (or replaced) to achieve this end.
(Are you discouraged yet? It isn't really as bad as it sounds.)

I'll dig up the relevant stuff from wherever, and mail it to you Eoin.
If you don't have a copy of UUDECODE, James Callis can help you out.

(It may take a couple of days to get it all together. I'm going up to Boston
for the match, so I'm kind of busy right now!)

>Thanking you in advance,
>
>Eoin Dunne.

>Let s/he who knows everything about Netware cast the first stone.
Arrghh! If I'd read this first, I could have saved myself all that typing! :-)

Aengus.
--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)