[comp.sys.novell] Big Tape Drives

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (05/29/91)

    In the wake of a devastating hard disk crash, we have begun looking
at the option of buying a Big Tape Drive (500MB+). I would be interested
in any user-feedback, rumors, scuttlebutt, or outright flames concerning
the merits (or demerits) of any tape backups you net-people have had
experience with.

    Thanks in advance.

--
Nathan Engle             Software Juggler
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.214643.7194@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) writes:
>    In the wake of a devastating hard disk crash, we have begun looking
>at the option of buying a Big Tape Drive (500MB+). I would be interested
>in any user-feedback, rumors, scuttlebutt, or outright flames concerning
>the merits (or demerits) of any tape backups you net-people have had
>experience with.

If you possibly can afford it, go with DAT.  It is without question the
best choice available.  Mountain and Maynard make good drives and software.
Actually many of the drives are the same, so the key is good software.
Be sure to look for "fast-file-find" otherwise restores can take literally
5-8 hours!  See Infoworld May 20 1991 for a good discussion of DAT's, they
love Palindrome.  Emerald is often dogged, but has the only WIN3 software.

Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May28.214643.7194@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) writes:

>    In the wake of a devastating hard disk crash, we have begun looking
>at the option of buying a Big Tape Drive (500MB+). I would be interested
>in any user-feedback, rumors, scuttlebutt, or outright flames concerning
>the merits (or demerits) of any tape backups you net-people have had
>experience with.

The Network Archiver (TNA) and the 2.2 GB SCSI tape interface works great!

Ken

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day