[comp.sys.novell] Packet Driver/NET3 problem?

similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen I Miller) (05/29/91)

I am working with a department here on campus that has the following problem.

They are trying to use Clarkson Packet drivers (ver. 9.x), the BYU packet
driver version of IPX, and NET3.  They are using the packet driver version of
NCSA Telnet and FTP.  Everything works ok on the IBM PS/2 55's that they have,
using 3Com 3C523 ethernet cards.  I run into a problem with the IBM PS/2 30 286
machines and some Wang PCs.  These computers are all using 3Com 3C503 ehthernet
cards that are setup with interupt 3 and io address 300h.  The IPX that was
generated from the Novell supplied software works fine on these PCs.  They are
using Netware 2.15c.

Here's what I load on the computers.

3C503 -n -w 0x62 3 0x300 1
IPXBYU
NET3

The packet driver executes without any errors, as does IPXBYU.  However, when I
execute NET3 the computer locks up.  I then need to do a hard boot.  THe 3C503
packet driver is version 9.4.0.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Does any one have any suggestions?

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Name:       Steve Miller           |  The Ohio State University
Internet:   STEVE-MILLER+@OSU.EDU  |  Academic Computing Services
CompuServe: 76702,1522             |  Rm. 406 Baker Systems
Phone:      614-292-4843           |  1971 Neil Avenue
FAX:        614-292-7081           |  Columbus, Ohio 43210-1210

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (05/31/91)

In <9105291554.AA05526@top.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen I Miller) writes:

>I run into a problem with the IBM PS/2 30 286
>machines and some Wang PCs.  These computers are all using 3Com 3C503 ehthernet
>cards that are setup with interupt 3 and io address 300h.  The IPX that was

>The packet driver executes without any errors, as does IPXBYU.  However, when I
>execute NET3 the computer locks up.  I then need to do a hard boot.  THe 3C503
>packet driver is version 9.4.0.

>Has this happened to anyone else?  Does any one have any suggestions?

Steve, I have experienced this same problem and I seem to recall that
this is a known bug with the 3c503 packet driver.  I think that you may be
able to fix it by loading the packet driver twice instead of once.  I have also
seen this happen with a 3c501 rev R, but the above solution did not
work.  You might try an older version of the packet driver as well.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *