[comp.sys.novell] A complaint-Recent request for netwise info

vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) (05/30/91)

Recently an organization posted a request for information/experience with
the Netwise RPC toolkit.  I had a negative experience with Netwise's tech
support and customer policy, so I felt my input might be valuable.  I also
had an extremely positive experience with the product itself.

Instead of trashing what was otherwise a great product in public forum, I
posted a letter (as I recall) directly to the requestor.  I did this to
specifically avoid dirtying Netwises name in public, since their PRODUCT is
generally good.

To make a long story short this PRIVATE note got back into the hands of
Netwise, in it's entirety.  As a result me and my client have been pestered
by Netwise PR hacks, trying to get us to retract the story.  I will NOT go
into details for the same reason that I sent the note as a MAIL item and
not a PUBLIC post.  Suffice it to say that I feel no need to retract any
part of that note.  I am impressed by the fact that Netwise NOW would feel it
is important enough to now come back and try to fix the problem, but I would
have been more impressed if the problem had been fixed when it happened.

If the person who posted the original notice would care to correspond further
I would be happy to BY EMAIL.

As always my opinions are my own.

Lee Drake

--
+--,,,,----U----,,,,--+ |/\+--+  +--+/\| | | University of Rochester

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (06/01/91)

In article <14288@ur-cc.UUCP> vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Valerie Drake) writes:

>Instead of trashing what was otherwise a great product in public forum, I
>posted a letter (as I recall) directly to the requestor.  I did this to
>specifically avoid dirtying Netwises name in public, since their PRODUCT is
>generally good.
>
>To make a long story short this PRIVATE note got back into the hands of
>Netwise, in it's entirety.  As a result me and my client have been pestered
>by Netwise PR hacks, trying to get us to retract the story.

I always find it extremely disgusting when companies do that sort of thing.
It is also unfortunate that the person you mailed betrayed your trust.

Netwise should also realize that Usenet is not stupid.  If someone has
given an honest opinion of a product or service they received from you and
you don't like it, fix the problem not the poster.  I find it distressing
that Netwise would try and pressure someone to retract statements they had
made.  *THAT* is the sort of activity that makes me avoid a product and
company.

Brian

>--
>|                     |    +--+  +--+   o  | Carpe Diem, Seize the DAY!
>|        //////       | |\/   .\/.   \/|  o| vdra_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
>|       /_   _\       | |   )) /\ ((   | o | Val & Lee Drake (The Fish Faces)
>+--,,,,----U----,,,,--+ |/\+--+  +--+/\| | | University of Rochester

---
brian@cimage.com
As always, the above opinions are my own.