[comp.sys.novell] Netware 286 NETGEN Problem

rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) (05/17/91)

	I have attempted to do a NETGEN (and yes I did RTFM) but I am
having problems selecting the LAN drivers.  I am doing a "hard disk" gen
and when I go to select the LAN driver, it says something like "no files
matching *.LAN were found" and so I cannot proceed.  I have no problem
with the disk selection, just the LAN driver selection.  I just want to
select one of the ones supplied with the distribution kit.

	So, what step have I missed here or am I missing a disk?  (Yes
LAN_DRV_.001 was loaded).  Thanks for the help, sorry if this has been
asked before.

--
Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May16.174325.22677@grebyn.com> rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:

>	I have attempted to do a NETGEN (and yes I did RTFM) but I am
>having problems selecting the LAN drivers.  I am doing a "hard disk" gen
>and when I go to select the LAN driver, it says something like "no files
>matching *.LAN were found" and so I cannot proceed.  I have no problem
>with the disk selection, just the LAN driver selection.  I just want to
>select one of the ones supplied with the distribution kit.
>
>	So, what step have I missed here or am I missing a disk?  (Yes
>LAN_DRV_.001 was loaded).  Thanks for the help, sorry if this has been
>asked before.

In NW 286 hard disk and network gen'ing of the OS required a creation of
a series of subdirectories under where you are performing the NETGEN/SHGEN/
BRGEN.  If you uploaded the files to your hard disk you should have a NETWARE
subdirectory with all/most of the .exe files, (including nlink.exe and others)
and several subdirectories under that with .obj, .lan, .dsk files etc.  One
of the most critical is AUXGEN.  Look in there to see if the .lan files are
there, if not, bingo! that's your problem.  Move any .lan files from the
LAN_DRV_.001 disk to the auxgen subdir and regen.  BTW this holds true for
ANY lan driver.  The .lan file must reside in the auxgen drive and the .obj
files will live in LAN_DRV_.xxx.  The .lan file can be typed out to determine
the location of the .obj files.  The subdir/disk label name can be found in
the second to 14th byte of the .lan file.  Move the axxxxx.obj through
dxxxxx.obj file into that subdirectory/disk and the select/link should go
ok.  Otherwise you will get the error=9 message that means the linker couldn't
find a file.  GOOD LUCK!

Ken

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.135055.18832@techbook.com> kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) writes:
|In NW 286 hard disk and network gen'ing of the OS required a creation of
|a series of subdirectories under where you are performing the NETGEN/SHGEN/
|BRGEN.  If you uploaded the files to your hard disk you should have a NETWARE
|subdirectory with all/most of the .exe files, (including nlink.exe and others)
|and several subdirectories under that with .obj, .lan, .dsk files etc.  One
|of the most critical is AUXGEN.  Look in there to see if the .lan files are
|there, if not, bingo! that's your problem.  Move any .lan files from the
|LAN_DRV_.001 disk to the auxgen subdir and regen.  BTW this holds true for
|ANY lan driver.  The .lan file must reside in the auxgen drive and the .obj
|files will live in LAN_DRV_.xxx.  The .lan file can be typed out to determine
|the location of the .obj files.  The subdir/disk label name can be found in
|the second to 14th byte of the .lan file.  Move the axxxxx.obj through
|dxxxxx.obj file into that subdirectory/disk and the select/link should go
|ok.  Otherwise you will get the error=9 message that means the linker couldn't
|find a file.  GOOD LUCK!
|
|Ken Haynes, CNE

My Netware directory used to be this way, but I found that '.LAN' files will
be found in any subdirectory of the current directory whose filename portion
is LAN_DRV_.  I've begun keeping the .LANs in the same directory with the
files they refer to.

I realize that the Novell documentation says to put the .LAN file into
SHGEN, AUXGEN, and BRGEN-1 as appropriate, possibly making several copies.
I don't know why they don't document the other way.  I just know it works
best for me.  (This is on 2.15A and 2.15C.)

Note also that the obvious trend is for all of this to go away in favor
of ODI drivers everywhere, and that 286 '.LAN' files are vastly different
things than 386 '.LAN' files (which are the actual drivers).
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com