[comp.sys.novell] Hole in file?

sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) (05/28/91)

One of our servers on campus recently developed an error which prevents
them from successfully completing a VREPAIR, much less mounting all the
volumes at bootup.  I have never seen this message before (HOLE IN
FILE), but I presume from the lack of success with VREPAIR that this is
MAJOR trouble.  We need to get things back up and running this week,
since I will be gone for the next 2  (for CNE training 8-)...talk about
bad timing...not to mention I was going to help them install an ARCserve
backup system on Friday when things crashed!).  Oh well...we want to
upgrade to 3.11 from SFT 2.15c, and they added more memory to the server
just before I got there Friday morning.  So we have adequate memory, but
it doesn't matter.  Any help gratefully accepted.  ...  Syl

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/31/91)

In article <21731@brahms.udel.edu> sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) writes:
>One of our servers on campus recently developed an error which prevents
>them from successfully completing a VREPAIR, much less mounting all the
>volumes at bootup.  I have never seen this message before (HOLE IN
>FILE), but I presume from the lack of success with VREPAIR that this is
>MAJOR trouble.  We need to get things back up and running this week,
>since I will be gone for the next 2  (for CNE training 8-)...talk about
>bad timing...not to mention I was going to help them install an ARCserve
>backup system on Friday when things crashed!).  Oh well...we want to
>upgrade to 3.11 from SFT 2.15c, and they added more memory to the server
>just before I got there Friday morning.  So we have adequate memory, but
>it doesn't matter.  Any help gratefully accepted.  ...  Syl

The HOLE IN FILE error is caused by a number of things, one of which is bad
memory.  Check your memory.  It could also be caused by a trashed redir
table or a corrupted NET$OS.EXE, either one will need reinstall of the OS,
the first will need a reinit of the drive before a reinstall of the OS, and
a full restore from tape.

Ken

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day

sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) (06/01/91)

Thanks to everyone who has responded, either here in the news group, or
via e-mail.  The problem is still not solved, but our hardware
maintenance people are finally listening a little.  I have suggested
that they change the memory ever since the General Protection Error
first appeared, over a month ago!  They did a few checks and said
everything was okay! 8-(  Wrong!  And as a result, the lab network has
been down for a week now. Oh well...grin and bear it! 8-)  Again, your
assistance has been extremely helpful.  Hope I can return the same in
the future.  Gratefully  ...  Syl