[comp.sys.novell] Novell <-> AS/400 <-satellite-> Mainframe

qqvvqq@mixcom.COM (CAP Gemini America) (05/31/91)

The Objective
-------------
Email and file transfers between Novell networks
and an IBM mainframe.

Multiple (about 100), geographically distant sites with a Novell
network (version 2.x) and an AS/400 need to communicate
with an IBM mainframe. The AS/400s and mainframe are
connected via a satellite link.

(Novell & AS/400)----satellite----|

(Novell & AS/400)----satellite----|
                                  |- IBM mainframe
(Novell & AS/400)----satellite----|

Cc:Mail is used on the Novell networks.

The AS/400s are plain-vanilla (no Office Vision)
and do not currently have any networking capability.

Needed: a means to perform file and email transfers
between the Novell networks and the IBM mainframe using the
AS/400<->mainframe link.

What are the options (and the cost)?

Thank you.
--
CAP Gemini America                     Computer Software Consulting
10150 W. National Ave., Suite 200      (414) 546-4644

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (06/02/91)

In article <874@mixcom.COM> qqvvqq@mixcom.COM (CAP Gemini America) writes:
>The Objective
>-------------
>Email and file transfers between Novell networks
>and an IBM mainframe.
>
>Multiple (about 100), geographically distant sites with a Novell
>network (version 2.x) and an AS/400 need to communicate
>with an IBM mainframe. The AS/400s and mainframe are
>connected via a satellite link.

we are installing the AS/400 Ethernet card and TCP/IP software.

it has SMTP, telnet and FTP.

we are running the NCSA telnet stuff on the Novell and will put in a
KA9Q NOS gateway to deal with SMTP mail on the Novell side.

the Novell 3.11 stuff with the TCP built in might be a better solution,
but we don't have the $$$ to upgrade at this point.

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim@lsuc.on.ca  home: merce@iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[      "AIDS. Stick it in your head instead!" - Billboard seen in Toronto     ]