[comp.sys.novell] Macintosh NLM / What ethernet card

Stephen I Miller <similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> (05/28/91)

I am looking for recommendations on what ethernet card to use with Netware 3.11
-and the MAC NLM.  I am under the assumption that the MAC NLM will only work
for- a very limited number of ethernet cards.  I have Netware 3.11 on order
along with the MAC NLM but I haven't received it yet.  I was going to use a
3Com 3C503 or 3C507 but I have been told that neither of these will work with
the MAC NLM.

Thanks for any help.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Name:       Steve Miller           |  The Ohio State University
Internet:   STEVE-MILLER+@OSU.EDU  |  Academic Computing Services
CompuServe: 76702,1522             |  Rm. 406 Baker Systems
Phone:      614-292-4843           |  1971 Neil Avenue
FAX:        614-292-7081           |  Columbus, Ohio 43210-1210

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (05/29/91)

I don't know about you, but I'm definately going to try the NLM using my
3c503 card doing either Ethertalk phase 1 or 2.  I think you do need the
DL2000 to do localtalk though.  Maybe novell hasn't certified that many
ethernet cards yet but I'm going to test it out and see how it goes anyway.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must

ken@tcs.com (Ken Emery) (05/29/91)

We have been using the Mac NLM on a 3C505 ethernet card with no
problems, although we haven't used it very heavily.  We are also
using the Western Digital Elite Plus for IPX and have had no
problems.

bye,
ken emery
ken@tcs.com

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (05/30/91)

In article <9105280208.AA04398@top.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> Stephen I
Miller <similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> I am looking for recommendations on what ethernet card to use with
Netware 3.11
> -and the MAC NLM.  I am under the assumption that the MAC NLM will only
work
> for- a very limited number of ethernet cards.  I have Netware 3.11 on
order
> along with the MAC NLM but I haven't received it yet.  I was going to
use a
> 3Com 3C503 or 3C507 but I have been told that neither of these will work
with
> the MAC NLM.

Bad assumption.  If your card works with NetWare v3.11 it will work with
the NetWare for Macintosh NLM.  AppleTalk protocols are bound to the
ethernet driver in precisely the same way IPX or IP are bound to the
driver!

The rest of you quit speculating.

++Tim

Tim Myers
Senior Software Consultant
Novell, Inc.
"Macintosh: the only GUI that doesn't SUCK."

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (05/31/91)

In article <9105280208.AA04398@top.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen I Miller) writes:
>I am looking for recommendations on what ethernet card to use with Netware 3.11
>-and the MAC NLM.  I am under the assumption that the MAC NLM will only work
>for- a very limited number of ethernet cards.  I have Netware 3.11 on order
>along with the MAC NLM but I haven't received it yet.  I was going to use a
>3Com 3C503 or 3C507 but I have been told that neither of these will work with
>the MAC NLM.

I think you need the DL1000, which replaces the NL1000.

Ken

--
Ken Haynes, CNE
900 Support.... Novell Technical Support 7 Days a week/24 Hours a day

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.131327.12641@techbook.com> kenh@techbook.com (Ken
Haynes) writes:
> I think you need the DL1000, which replaces the NL1000.
>
> Ken

Alas, the NL1000 was a LocalTalk not an Ethernet interface card.
The DL2000 should now replace the NL1000 for LocalTalk.