[comp.sys.novell] Charon Problems

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (05/30/91)

I'm in the process of trying to make Charon 2.0A work on our network.  I
initially tried to use our Netware 3.10 server and when it didn't work
switched to our 2.15 SFT server and had the same problems.

Right now I just want to test Charon's ability to grab a job out of a Novell
queue and place it in a UNIX lpr queue.  I believe I have everything set up
correctly, but when I start charon up, I get the following message:

Info: Attaching to Queue DSI_DM/lpr
Warning: Attach failed with error ea for Queue DSI_DM/lpr, unlinking

Charon will then continue to operate and pretend everything is ok.  My
jobs do not get forwarded to my UNIX host, however.  With charon running,
when I examine my queue (lpr) with the Netware 3.10 pconsole it says there
are no attached print servers (though I would think my charon printserver,
lpr, should show up).

Has anyone else has this problem before or succeeded in getting charon to
work (esp. with Netware 386)?

  Thanks for any help!

    Brian

---
brian@cimage.com

mark@dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.171834.23181@cimage.com> brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley)
writes:

> ... switched to our 2.15 SFT server and had the same problems.
>
>Right now I just want to test Charon's ability to grab a job out of a Novell
>queue and place it in a UNIX lpr queue.  I believe I have everything set up
>correctly, but when I start charon up, I get the following message:
>
>Info: Attaching to Queue DSI_DM/lpr
>Warning: Attach failed with error ea for Queue DSI_DM/lpr, unlinking

Good thing I read the group before posting! I'm getting the same thing. I've
got Charon receiving lpr jobs and placing them in the Novell queue OK, it's
just going back the other way that's a problem. Anyone know what the code "ea"
means? We don't have a list on Novell error codes.
--

 Mark Wright.                    Dept. of Survey and Land Information,NZ.
 email: mark@dosli.govt.nz       phone: 64 4 710-380 ext 8688

ken@tcs.com (Ken Emery) (05/31/91)

if you place the Charon printer server gateway (lpr) as a server
on the novell queues which correspond to the unix printers this
may solve your problem (we had this problem and it is not mentioned
in the manual).

Now if someone could just figure out why I can't print from
windows to an Apple Laserwriter via Charon 2.0a I'd be a real happy
camper.

bye,
ken emery
internet: ken@tcs.com
voice: (415) 649-3789

baird2@lincoln.ac.nz (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.205743.19560@dosli.govt.nz>, mark@dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) writes:
>>Right now I just want to test Charon's ability to grab a job out of a Novell
>>queue and place it in a UNIX lpr queue.  I believe I have everything set up
>>correctly, but when I start charon up, I get the following message:
>>
>>Info: Attaching to Queue DSI_DM/lpr
>>Warning: Attach failed with error ea for Queue DSI_DM/lpr, unlinking
>>

> Good thing I read the group before posting! I'm getting the same thing. I've
> got Charon receiving lpr jobs and placing them in the Novell queue OK, it's
> just going back the other way that's a problem. Anyone know what the code "ea"
> means? We don't have a list on Novell error codes.

I'm just about to start setting up Charon 2.0 so am interested in this
thread. Error code EA is "no such member". Have you run ADDQOP? Have you
run BINDFIX since running ADDQOP - I recall someone saying ADDQGRP for
Charon 3 had to be rerun after running BINDFIX and the same may apply to
ADDQOP.

   John Baird                           Internet:   J.Baird@ono.lincoln.ac.nz
   Senior Computer Consultant           CompuServe: 75360,35
   Centre for Computing & Biometrics    Phone:      (64) (3) 252-811
   Lincoln University                   Fax:        (64) (3) 252-944
   Canterbury
   New Zealand

scott@storm.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Orr) (05/31/91)

Kelley) writes:

|> I'm in the process of trying to make Charon 2.0A work on our network.  I
|> initially tried to use our Netware 3.10 server and when it didn't work
|> switched to our 2.15 SFT server and had the same problems.
|>
|> Right now I just want to test Charon's ability to grab a job out of a Novell
|> queue and place it in a UNIX lpr queue.  I believe I have everything set up
|> correctly, but when I start charon up, I get the following message:
|>
|> Info: Attaching to Queue DSI_DM/lpr
|> Warning: Attach failed with error ea for Queue DSI_DM/lpr, unlinking

We had the same error when installing Charon 2.0A with our NW 2.15 Net.  After
some trial and error we came up with the following solution.  First, name your
print server something other than lpr.  Once you've gone through all the steps
listed in the docs, go back into pconsole and make the new print server a
print server for the outgoing queue.  Now when firing up charon, be sure to
add the -u option for that server and print server.

(i.e. "charon -p printer.dat -l lpd.dat -h config.tel -u etadmin/charon2")

This worked for us and I imagine it should for NW/386.  I hope this helps, and
if not, email me.  Good luck.

Scott.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth. -- Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.142347.22987@ethome.et.iupui.edu> scott@ethome.et.iupui.edu writes:

>In article <1991May29.171834.23181@cimage.com>, brian@cimage.com (Brian
>Kelley) writes:
>|>

>|> I'm in the process of trying to make Charon 2.0A work on our network.  I
>|> initially tried to use our Netware 3.10 server and when it didn't work
>|> switched to our 2.15 SFT server and had the same problems.

>We had the same error when installing Charon 2.0A with our NW 2.15 Net.  After
>some trial and error we came up with the following solution.

[Solution omitted]

>This worked for us and I imagine it should for NW/386.  I hope this helps, and
>if not, email me.  Good luck.

And it worked for us!  I'm not sure what exactly was wrong but I did exactly
what Scott said and it seems to be working great.  Now let's see what the
users think...

---
brian@cimage.com