[comp.sys.novell] using TCP/IP to link NetWare and UNIX

terry@joshua.math.ucla.edu (05/25/91)

Hi, netlanders!

We are in the midst of a project to connect a Novell NetWare 386 3.11 system
to the outside world.  Our Novell network is 10baseT-based.  We plan to add a
PC running UNIX, and will connect to the Internet via a fiber line attached
to the hub's AUI port.

We are trying to decide on which UNIX to put on the PC.  SCO's basic 3.2
system looks good; any comments on the 386 port of BSD 4.3?

We would like to have the following services from our PCs:

	1. ftp
	2. telnet
	3. e-mail

Our local e-mail system is Network Courier v. 2.0.  It is supposed
to be able to act as a gateway to larger systems.  Does anyone have
experience with using this package to send mail across the Internet?

As for ftp and telnet, an article in LAN Technology suggested a combination
of the Clarkson packet drivers, BYU's modified NetWare shells, and a
TCP/IP package from FTP Software.  The problem is, FTP's software will run
minimum about $150 a station, too much for our tastes.  Someone suggested
the PD packages NCSA Telnet and KA9Q.  Does anyone have experience with
these packages, and know if they will provide the functionality we need?

One note:  It would be ideal if the software would work with HP 10baseT
cards.  In the LAN Tech article, they said that the Clarkson drivers did
not yet support this card (mid-1990).  If not HP, we would like to use
3Com or DLink cards.  Any comments or suggestions?

Last note:  We would also like to share printers between our UNIX box and
the NetWare network.  I have heard of a package called "charon", available
on Clarkson, that might do the trick.  Comments?

Thanks in advance!  Please send me your suggestions by e-mail, and I will
produce a summary and our experiences to the net.

Terry
terry@math.ucla.edu

bek@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Brian Krelle) (05/30/91)

As of May 1st, HP Ethertwist and ThinLAN adapters have packet drivers.  They
are available from Clarkson or on a HP support disk reproduced after May 1st.

Brian

fengstad@honte.uleth.ca (Grant Fengstad) (06/04/91)

In <1991May25.010745.20736@math.ucla.edu> terry@joshua.math.ucla.edu writes:

>Hi, netlanders!

>We are in the midst of a project to connect a Novell NetWare 386 3.11 system
>to the outside world.  Our Novell network is 10baseT-based.  We plan to add a
>PC running UNIX, and will connect to the Internet via a fiber line attached
>to the hub's AUI port.

>We are trying to decide on which UNIX to put on the PC.  SCO's basic 3.2
>system looks good; any comments on the 386 port of BSD 4.3?

>We would like to have the following services from our PCs:

>	1. ftp
>	2. telnet
>	3. e-mail

>Our local e-mail system is Network Courier v. 2.0.  It is supposed
>to be able to act as a gateway to larger systems.  Does anyone have
>experience with using this package to send mail across the Internet?

Network Courer alias MicroSoft Mail 2.1 support Unix to LAN Mail
transfer via a SMTP gateway.  Using this gateway, it would be possible
to send Internet mail from your PC's and have it routed to the proper
address(es).

>As for ftp and telnet, an article in LAN Technology suggested a combination
>of the Clarkson packet drivers, BYU's modified NetWare shells, and a
>TCP/IP package from FTP Software.  The problem is, FTP's software will run
>minimum about $150 a station, too much for our tastes.  Someone suggested
>the PD packages NCSA Telnet and KA9Q.  Does anyone have experience with
>these packages, and know if they will provide the functionality we need?

You should check out Novell's LAN Workplace for DOS.  This is a full
function Workstation based solution providing ftp and telnet.  It uses
Novell's ODI driver and works quite well.

>One note:  It would be ideal if the software would work with HP 10baseT
>cards.  In the LAN Tech article, they said that the Clarkson drivers did
>not yet support this card (mid-1990).  If not HP, we would like to use
>3Com or DLink cards.  Any comments or suggestions?

Novell's ODI driver fully supports 3Com cards.

>Last note:  We would also like to share printers between our UNIX box and
>the NetWare network.  I have heard of a package called "charon", available
>on Clarkson, that might do the trick.  Comments?

Novell's implementation of Netware NFS will allow Unix based systems to
print to a Novell print queue.

>produce a summary and our experiences to the net.

>Terry
>terry@math.ucla.edu
|  Grant M. Fengstad                   |
|  Unix:      fengstad                 |