[comp.sys.novell] Lan Workplace for DOS

Wayne.Wilson@med.umich.edu (06/04/91)

We just got a copy of Lan Workplace for Dos from Novell, this version users ODI
drivers.  It comes with a vt220 emulator and ftp capabilities, but to be part
of our core tcp/ip application software we also need tn3270 and X server.  Does
anyone know of any tn3270 and Xwindow that runs on top of ODI?

mewes@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Keith Mewes) (06/04/91)

Wayne.Wilson@med.umich.edu writes:

>We just got a copy of Lan Workplace for Dos from Novell, this version users ODI
>drivers.  It comes with a vt220 emulator and ftp capabilities, but to be part
>of our core tcp/ip application software we also need tn3270 and X server.  Does
>anyone know of any tn3270 and Xwindow that runs on top of ODI?

If someone does know about these, please post it.  I might be interested
in these applications, also.

Keith Mewes
University of Illinois
Computer Science
mewes@cs.uiuc.edu

dll@sirius.cc.utexas.edu (Don Loflin) (06/05/91)

--------

>If someone does know about these, please post it.  I might be interested
>in these applications, also.
>
>Keith Mewes
>University of Illinois
>Computer Science
>mewes@cs.uiuc.edu

For tn3270, you could use ODIPKT (from husc6.harvard.edu) and NCSA or
Clarkson Telnet.  Any X-Window implementation that uses packet drivers
could probably use ODIPKT, although you wouldn't be able to use the
Workplace TCPIP stack at the same time.  (You could use IPX/NETx though).
Basically, look for X Window implementations that use FTP software's
TCPIP stack. (DESQview/X, due out 'soon', will use it, I believe).

- Don Loflin
  Computation Center,
  UT Austin
  dll@emx.utexas.edu