[comp.sys.novell] IP on Netware 3.11

george@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Stephanie George) (06/05/91)

The following is some correspondence that I wrote (and received) to the
Novell Listserv mailing list on BITNET regarding our efforts to implement
IP under Netware 3.11.  I don't think that that list gets cross-posted here
(it should) so I hope that I am reaching a different, if not wider audience.

If you have any suggestions regarding this, please pass on your experiences.

Thanks,

Stephanie George

Mark Allsop (mallsop@SUNA.MQCC.MQ.OZ.AU) writes:
>We have just installed a 3.11 server and [...] would like to bridge IP packets
>so we can telnet to a UNIX machine outside our LAN through the 3.11 server.
>
>I have loaded the TCPIP & SNMP NLM's, have bound IP to each of the LAN cards
>and have tried various combinations of masks to try and get the server to
>bridge
>us to the outside world.  I have read the manuals and have been trying now for
>ages to get this to work.  I have watched the TCPCON, but it dosn't seem to be
>picking up the telnet packets at all.  I bound the LAN cards (NE2000) using
>ethernet_ii.

After reading this, I thought that my boss had beaten me to the job of
writing to this group because this is precisely what we have been working on
for the last three weeks.  In addition to just watching TCPCON, we have
attached a protocol analyzer to the network and watched as the 3.11 server
added information about our network from and about our gateways and name-
servers on campus.

From looking at the TCP/IP documentation that came with 3.11, it appears that
the server is quite greedy in expecting there to be a different subnet behind
it and the backbone on the other side.  In effect, we have tried to configure
the server as a gateway device.  We have also tried to configure the server
as a router by using the same subnet number with different node numbers on
the two interfaces.  (see the following diagrams)

-----------------+--------------------+---- Backbone network
                 |                    |
xxx.yyy.104.111  | NE2000          +--+--+
          +------+------+          | WS1 |
          |    server   |          +-----+
          |             |
          +------+------+
xxx.yyy.188.110  | NE1000

-----------------+---------------------+---- Subnet

                                    +--+--+
                                    | WS2 |
                                    +-----+
Fig. 1.  Server acting as a gateway with subnet 188 behind it.  WS2 would like
to talk TCP/IP to WS1.  WS1 can see WS2 via telnet on WS2 and FTP on WS1, but
WS2 cannot see WS1 or anything outside its subnet.

-----------------+--------------------+---- Backbone network
                 |                    |
xxx.yyy.104.111  | NE2000          +--+--+
          +------+------+          | WS1 |
          |    server   |          +-----+
          |             |
          +------+------+
xxx.yyy.104.110  | NE1000

-----------------+---------------------+---- Subnet

                                    +--+--+
                                    | WS2 |
                                    +-----+
Fig. 2.  Server acting as IP router; WS1 and WS2 are on same subnet (104).
WS1 and WS2 cannot communicate with each other in any way.

This is what my autoexec.ncf looks like (to act like a gateway):

	file server name bb-fs2
	ipx internal net 30001
	load c:\ne2000.lan port=340 int=5 frame=ethernet_802.3 name=backbone
	load c:\ne1000.lan port=300 int=3 frame=ethernet_802.3 name=subnet
	bind ipx to backbone net=30000
	bind ipx to subnet net=30002
	load tcpip forward=yes
	load c:\ne2000.lan port=340 int=5 frame=ethernet_ii name=bb-ip
	load c:\ne1000.lan port=300 int=3 frame=ethernet_ii name=sn-ip
	bind ip to bb-ip addr=xxx.yyy.104.111 mask=255.255.254.0
		bcast=xxx.yyy.105.255
	bind ip to sn-ip addr=xxx.yyy.188.111 mask=255.255.254.0
		bcast=xxx.yyy.189.255
	mount all
	load remote xxxxxx
	load rspx

The remote console doesn't seem to work, either, but that's minor compared
to the IP problem.

--
Stephanie George        DoD #218         Box J-14, JHMHC
george@psych.ufl.edu                     University of Florida