[comp.sys.novell] memory estimation

mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu (Brent Mosbrook) (06/02/91)

After purchasing many $$ worth of books on the subject, I have found that most
sidestep the issue of necessary ram for a server.  I understand that it is
dependant upon the type of application, # of workstations, etc., but is there a
worksheet/form that gives rough estimates?  I remember sheets from Wyse that
detailed memory planning for xenix/unix which started out with such
calculations as # of users x .5 mb.
BTW: I am using NW 386 v3.11 on a 386sx-20

thanks in advance for any pointers

|  Brent Mosbrook    KC6MWK            |
|         mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu     |

steve@timessqr.gc.cuny.edu (Steve Yoman) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.011808.11956@beach.csulb.edu> mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu (Brent Mosbrook) writes:

>After purchasing many $$ worth of books on the subject, I havefound
>that most sidestep the issue of necessary ram for a server.  I
>understand that it is dependant upon the type of application, # of
>workstations, etc., but is there a worksheet/form that gives rough
>estimates?  I remember sheets from Wyse that detailed memory planning
>for xenix/unix which started out with such calculations as of users x#
>.5 mb.

>   BTW: I am using NW 386 v3.11 on a 386sx-20

Amount of memory depends on what you are doing.  You can look at the amount
of memory used by the NLMs you have loaded + the amount of disk space you
have.  If you look in the SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION manual there is a chart on
page 417 (least in my book) to calculate memory used by your configuration.

We have a 650 mb drive that uses about 5 meg of server memory.  The server
has 10 meg total running monitor and pserver.  We will be upgrading memory
soon (probably drive as well)!

BTW:  NW 386 v3.11 (250 user) on IBM Mod 80-20 (Core HD650)
--

			***********************

Steve Yoman				InterNet: steve@ajax.gc.cuny.edu
User Services				  BitNet: smy@cunyvms1
Graduate Center/CUNY

				   *

                   Thanks for even thinking about this.

				   *
--

			***********************

maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun2.011808.11956@beach.csulb.edu>, mosbrook@beach.csulb.edu (Brent Mosbrook) writes:

> After purchasing many $$ worth of books on the subject, I have found that most
> sidestep the issue of necessary ram for a server.  I understand that it is
> dependant upon the type of application, # of workstations, etc., but is there a
> worksheet/form that gives rough estimates?  I remember sheets from Wyse that
> detailed memory planning for xenix/unix which started out with such
> calculations as # of users x .5 mb.
> BTW: I am using NW 386 v3.11 on a 386sx-20
>

> thanks in advance for any pointers

Novell has their basic algorithm of
.23 * hard drive size (M)/block size (k)  for drives without name
support and .32 * HD/block with name support.  Round up to MB and you
always have to have at least 4M.

Then you have to start guessing.  The more NLMs that are loaded, the
more memory you'll need.  Netware's system administration manual has a
section on monitoring the health of the server which includes checking
to see that there is some extra memory to work with.  One of the
included NFolio infobases also covers the stuff.

--
           |\   \\\\__       Tony Maimer                __
           | / \__+___/  maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   /o   /_/|
                                                     \    |