[comp.sys.novell] Netware 3.11 and Zenith

mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (06/04/91)

Hello everyone, me again.

I have set up many 3.11 servers, and have never had this problem before:

	Zenith 386 (not sure which model -- each Zenith seems to be different)
	 	as a server.
	Zenith ESDI Disk Controller (DTC)

I am able to run 3.11 pretty much successfully except -- random characters
appear constantly on the console.  The characters don't start until I load
the ISADISK driver that came with Netware.

I have:
	1. Used two completely independent sets of disks, to check for
	   software corruption.
	2. Swapped in an identical DTC controller.

Other than the character garbage, everything works beautifully -- I can log
on, transfer files, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?  Is there a special "Zenith ESDI"
driver?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

Geoffrey W. McKim			Internet: mckimg@ucs.indiana.edu
UCS Networks/LAN Group			BITNET: mckimg@iuamber
Indiana University Bloomington
855-4643

mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Geoffrey McKim) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.141932.27696@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu writes:
>Hello everyone, me again.
>
>I have set up many 3.11 servers, and have never had this problem before:
>
>	Zenith 386 (not sure which model -- each Zenith seems to be different)
>	 	as a server.
>	Zenith ESDI Disk Controller (DTC)
>
>I am able to run 3.11 pretty much successfully except -- random characters
>appear constantly on the console.  The characters don't start until I load
>the ISADISK driver that came with Netware.
>
>I have:
>	1. Used two completely independent sets of disks, to check for
>	   software corruption.
>	2. Swapped in an identical DTC controller.
>
>Other than the character garbage, everything works beautifully -- I can log
>on, transfer files, etc.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?  Is there a special "Zenith ESDI"
>driver?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

Never mind...chalk this one up to Zenith's rather bizarre monochrome "VGA"
board.  When I replace it with any one of a number of other VGA boards,
everything works beautifully.

Thanks again anyway...

maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun4.141932.27696@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu writes:
> Hello everyone, me again.
>
> I have set up many 3.11 servers, and have never had this problem before:
>
> 	Zenith 386 (not sure which model -- each Zenith seems to be different)
> 	 	as a server.
> 	Zenith ESDI Disk Controller (DTC)
>
> I am able to run 3.11 pretty much successfully except -- random characters
> appear constantly on the console.  The characters don't start until I load
> the ISADISK driver that came with Netware.
>
> I have:
> 	1. Used two completely independent sets of disks, to check for
> 	   software corruption.
> 	2. Swapped in an identical DTC controller.
>
> Other than the character garbage, everything works beautifully -- I can log
> on, transfer files, etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?  Is there a special "Zenith ESDI"
> driver?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

I have also seen the garbage on Zenith 386s.  I have also been seeing
it on DTK 486/25s (FEAT 2502 if you really want to get specific) using
Ultrastor controllers (32K cache, I haven't tested the 1M cache yet).
Since it doesn't seem to affect the operation, I've just ignored it.

--
           |\   \\\\__       Tony Maimer                __
           | / \__+___/  maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   /o   /_/|
                                                     \    |