[comp.sys.novell] Networking Macintosh PCs with Novell

jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) (06/03/91)

I am in a situation where I will probably have to install a new
student laboratory consisting of Macintosh workstations. These
Macs would be networked to an existing Novell File Server. I'd
be interested to hear from anyone who maybe running a Mac lab
and using Novell LAN. Some points I'm particularly interested
in are:

1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
2. What type of ethernet cards are available (the suggestion
   is to put low end Macs in such as LCs)?
3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
   situation?
4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Young.
Internet: jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au
          j.young@qut.edu.au

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (06/04/91)

-- NOTE --  This really is not comp.sys.novell stuff -- but don't flame me!

<936@axiom.maths.uq.oz> jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:

>3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>   situation?

We are just resigned to losing a couple of mice each year.  I only wish that
the culprits would leave their (presumably dead) mice in exchange, as we have
an on-site repair or replace arrangement with the department that does service.
Oh well....  (Keyboards are easy to lock down -- someone (else) will probably
point you to a variety of commercial outfits....)

>Joe Young.
>Internet: jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au
>          j.young@qut.edu.au

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (06/04/91)

In article <936@axiom.maths.uq.oz> jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:
I set up an ARC-net Novell ELS II System with just PC's only, but I use a Mac
Network, which I believe is Appletalk only, so I can only quote you on what I
know.  I cannot really give you any information on the network aspect.

>1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
The Mac +'s that they have here cannot remote boot.  This wastes considerable
amounts of time and means you have to use a boot disk or a local HD.
I assume Macs with internal expansion ports would be more likely to accept
cards with remote boot ROMs on them.

>3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>   situation?
This is a problem here.  WHat they have done is installed bicycle cables with
padlocks around the macs at the anchoring points indicated by little chain
symbols.  This secures the kbd and system, but many mouses here are stolen or
neutered (ball-free mice) and nothing stops people stealing kbd cables, net
cables or power cables.
>4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
>   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

THis appletalk nbetwork seems to be unbearably slow.  But only seeing it from
a users point of view, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly why it is so slow.

* Danny Bielik                                                                *
* dbielik@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                                                  *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                                     *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *

richm@zeus.unomaha.edu (06/06/91)

In article <936@axiom.maths.uq.oz>, jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:
> I am in a situation where I will probably have to install a new
> student laboratory consisting of Macintosh workstations. These
> Macs would be networked to an existing Novell File Server. I'd
> be interested to hear from anyone who maybe running a Mac lab
> and using Novell LAN. Some points I'm particularly interested
> in are:
>
> 1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
                NO

> 2. What type of ethernet cards are available (the suggestion
>    is to put low end Macs in such as LCs)?
                TWISTED PAIR, THIN NET, THICK NET - WE USE
                ASANTE PRODUCTS - CHEAP, RELIABLE AND HAVE
                SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL PRICING

> 3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>    situation?
                WE DON'T - OUR LABS TEND TO BE MONITORED

> 4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
>    the performance like and are there any major hassles?
>               HAVEN'T RUN MANY MACS OFF THE FILE SERVER AT ONE TIME
                SHOULD HAVE AS MUCH MEMORY AS POSSIBLE IN FILE SERVER, HOWEVER

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (06/08/91)

In article <15846.284d5e40@zeus.unomaha.edu> richm@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:

>> 1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
>                NO

   Actually the newest Mac ROMs have a remote boot feature for booting
   off a fileserver.  The magic incantation is command-x-o or something.

   This won't work on most older Macs.

Don McGregor             | Statistics are our _friends_.  It's just that
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu| they're the sort of friends who insist on

ctcmiker@vax.oxford.ac.uk (Mike Roch) (06/11/91)

Young) writes:

> 1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?

Something to try:

Mac Classics can be used "diskless" by holding down cmd-opt-O-X, setting
the startup disk to be the ROM disk (yes ROM) that appears and
rebooting.  I don't know whether LCs do the same.  If the machine is set
up with the various Appletalk options selected, (Macs on Novell think
they're on an Appletalk network), I guess (but can't try this with the
h/w we have) that you should get a "login" on booting up.

Mike

billing@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Billing) (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun11.101659.663@vax.oxford.ac.uk> ctcmiker@vax.oxford.ac.uk (Mike Roch) writes:

>In article <936@axiom.maths.uq.oz>, jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph
>Young) writes:

>> 1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?

>Something to try:

>Mac Classics can be used "diskless" by holding down cmd-opt-O-X, setting
>the startup disk to be the ROM disk (yes ROM) that appears and
>rebooting.  I don't know whether LCs do the same.  If the machine is set
>up with the various Appletalk options selected, (Macs on Novell think
>they're on an Appletalk network), I guess (but can't try this with the
>h/w we have) that you should get a "login" on booting up.

>Mike

To get Macintosh micros to remote boot would require a change in the built-in
ROMs (to the best of my knowledge) which Apple is not going to do for
existing machines (IMHO). What Apple seems to be going for (judging by the
Classic's ROM disk thingie) is a station that can be booted without a
floppy diskette that can still connect to a server. At that point the user
logs onto the server and specifies which set of files on the server is to
serve as the System Folder for that session (probably with defaults
available). This is how A/UX currently works and also would fit with the
rumours that I have heard about the way AppleShare 3 will work.

I assume this would require some mods to the way Macintosh uses Novell now
but it could probably be handled by a change in the VAP or something else
as simple.

Using the Classic's ROM disk, however, precludes a "login" dialogue on boot
up since the information about automatic logins is kept in a file in the
System Folder.

Wayne
--
Wayne Billing             | male suicide rate/million: for world - 94,
billing@ccm.UManitoba.CA  | USA - 91, Scotland - 150,  Scottish Highlands - 188+