[comp.sys.novell] Mac Sys 7 Publish & Subscribe

9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini) (06/07/91)

I'm waiting for our upgrade to NW 3.11 and the Macintosh NLM and can't
upgrade to Mac System 7 yet. (MacDFT - Apple's 3270 emulation program
isn't System 7 compatible). So I can't try anything, but can only think
about the possibilities.  One question I have is:

Can someone with a System 7 Mac (and appropriate application) "publish"
a file from their Mac onto the Netware 3.11 fileserver, then have
someone else (again with the appropriate System 7 Mac s/w) "subscribe"
to that same "published" file?

EG.  I have a (System 7 compatible) spreadsheet (Excel 3.0) and publish
this onto the fileserver.  My boss, with a word processor that's System
7 compatible, subscribes to this spreadsheet and automatically uses my
spreadsheet in a report he's writing.

I expect I can do this from Mac to Mac, but I'd prefer to store the
published "stuff" on the file server (it's up all the time whereas my
Mac may be turned off, the server is backed up regularly, etc).

Thanks to anyone who might:  (a) Know 'cause they've done it, (b) Know
'cause they know it will work, or (c) Believe 'cause they have faith in
this sort of thing.

						Jamie Sonsini
						UC Santa Barbara
						9531sons@ucsbvm.bitnet

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) (06/12/91)

9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini) writes:
>[on publishing to a Netware server]
>Thanks to anyone who might:  (a) Know 'cause they've done it, (b) Know
>'cause they know it will work, or (c) Believe 'cause they have faith in
>this sort of thing.

I choose (b), because I know that the Edition Manager publishes files
and doesn't care where they are stored.  This also implies that it will
work on the Netware for Macintosh VAP.

						_emt

billing@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Billing) (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun12.020837.7967@momenta.com> tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) writes:

>9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini) writes:
>>[on publishing to a Netware server]
>>Thanks to anyone who might:  (a) Know 'cause they've done it, (b) Know
>>'cause they know it will work, or (c) Believe 'cause they have faith in
>>this sort of thing.

>I choose (b), because I know that the Edition Manager publishes files
>and doesn't care where they are stored.  This also implies that it will
>work on the Netware for Macintosh VAP.

>						_emt

I choose (a) - because I have. I used MicroSoft EXCEL 3.0 and it worked fine
for publish and suscribe except for one interesting situation. Worksheets,
Charts and MacroSheets (or portions thereof) all worked fine. A new feature
of XL 3 is that you can now create charts that are part of a worksheet
(as in WINGZ). When I tried to publish a chart created in this manner I
received an ERROR Unable to publish message from EXCEL - even though a
Chart document Published with no trouble at all.

Yes I was able to subscribe to the items published on the novell volume.
--
Wayne Billing             | male suicide rate/million: for world - 94,
billing@ccm.UManitoba.CA  | USA - 91, Scotland - 150,  Scottish Highlands - 188+